VOGONS

First post, by greyseer_thanquol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi, new user of DosBox with troubles

I'm running DosBox on a Pentium4 1.8Ghz chip, GeForce 2 MX g.card, under Mandrake Linux 9.1. I've encountered these problems.

Xcom Apocalypse bombs during the install program - right after when I select any of the 3 install options.

Ascendancy won't run the install. If I copy the files manually and run it, I get an unhandled opcode. I'd take the advice on the SourceForge FAQ, and wait for a new version - but the games database states that it runs fine, so I'm not sure.😕

Eye of The Beholder 3 installs, but at runtime it gives "AESOP inheritance exceeded" and returns to the prompt.

Any help appreciated.

Avoid employing unlucky people -
Throw half the CVs in the bin.

Reply 1 of 5, by Darkstar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When exactly does Eye of the Beholder 3 crash for you? It seems to run fine here (i.e. I can start the game, load the quick start party, walk around a bit and kill some monsters.
Are you sure you're using the latest version (0.60)?

--Darkstar

Reply 3 of 5, by greyseer_thanquol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm definitely using DosBox 0.60

After installing EOB3 and setting up soundcard, I run EYE.BAT. I get this immediately:

Error: AESOP inheritance limit exceeded

and then it dumps me back on the prompt.

Oh, and it's the English version from original source floppies

Reply 4 of 5, by Darkstar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Strange. Maybe your eye.res file is corrupted?

Try it on a pure dos / win98 / WinXP machine. I have the english version and it runs fine (without sound, though) if I just launch it from the WinXP explorer.

--Darkstar

Reply 5 of 5, by greyseer_thanquol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll do that over the weekend (high-end Win98 machine at home, Mandrake Linux at work). I seem to remember it working on Win98, but that was some time ago - and floppies are not the most reliable media...😉

-- edited after weekend --

Ok, I've given up on Eye3 for now as I still need to finish the first 2 😉 . I also don't much care about X-COM Apocalypse, as it runs at home fine. Ascendancy would still be nice though - any help there?

Last edited by greyseer_thanquol on 2003-11-03, 12:17. Edited 1 time in total.