VOGONS

Reply 20 of 40, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, sounds like it's looking in the wrong directory or for the wrong filename. Make sure you're giving it the DOSBox virtual path and not the real one if they're different.

Reply 21 of 40, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant works fine for me under DOSBox 0.63 - Haven't tried "Wizardry 6: Bane of the Cosmic Forge", though.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 22 of 40, by bknight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure what you mean about virtual path.
The command that I used was mount c C:\DSAVANT, it is interesting that you mention this, because I looked in the command window and got errors:
Warning: File creation failed: C:\DSAVANT\DSAVANT\SAVEGAME.DBS
Now I wonder if I neeed to change the file location in the game to just C:?

That worked, thanks for giving me the clue to that. Now just have to tweek the speed a bit as it is slow, I've tried pushing F-12, without success during the game. Does the function key need to be pushed prior to loading the game?

Reply 24 of 40, by bknight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, thanks, that worked, I didn't look carefully at the directions. It speeded up but its still a little slow with the cpu at +/-95%. I'll try increasing the frame skips the next time I get into the game.

Reply 26 of 40, by bknight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, it always helps to read the instructions, something I do last after everything else doesn't work, too anxious to get into the game.

This is on the BOCF, does anyone have a password list like I have in Crusaders? I can't carry the manuals with me in my travels.

Reply 28 of 40, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The game takes little CPU power if you use the dynamic core. I run at 10000 cycles on my Athlon XP 3200+, but it would probably run just as well on half that.

I recently beat BotCF in DOSBox, but I played the Ultimate Wizardry Archives version which has the copy protection removed. I had a printable password sheet like 10 years ago for use with the original version I had, but I've long since lost it.

I'm now playing Win7:CDS myself in DOSBox (although I might get distracted by Guild Wars) after importing my party from Wiz6:BCF.

Reply 29 of 40, by bknight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Nope. That would be illegal. You will have to ask elsewhere...

Why? The passwords I have for Crusaders was in a text file on the CD, unfortunately the symbols in the Bane don't lend themselves to putting into a text document.

Reply 31 of 40, by bknight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

CODS, I don't know when I got it, but the date on the price sticker looks like 2/99?

But I had the Gold CD also, and it may have been on that one too. Lost that along the way. Now have the Archives, which doesn't have the passwords, isn't that smart, buy 7 games and no password files.

Reply 33 of 40, by bknight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That is the CD that I copied for 6 & 7 and I still get a password question when playing 7. I haven't tried 6. Is the manual in the readme files?
I'm asking becasue I don't have the CD and only copied the 2 games from it to my laptop.

Last edited by bknight on 2005-06-07, 20:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 36 of 40, by bknight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant works fine for me under DOSBox 0.63 - Haven't tried "Wizardry 6: Bane of the Cosmic Forge", though.

I tried W6, and the game works fine, but I am having the same trouble with saving. I changed the location of the saved game file to C: as I did with W7, but all I get is insert c: to save and I can't get out of that screen, have to shut down DosBox to get out. I tried c:\BANE\ also but the same message comes up. The scenario location is c:\BANE\ and can't be changed, only the saved game location.
The command that I'm using is
mount c c:\BANE\ to get into the game.

Reply 37 of 40, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should do:
mount c c:\ instead of mounting the BANE directory. I think BANE is very picky about where it thinks it's being run from.

In general you shouldn't mount a game's dir as the root dir anyways, since most people don't install games to their root directory in real life (although I knew a few people that did and thought they were crazy even back then 😉)

Reply 39 of 40, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The BANE directory and/or files in it (especially savegame.dbs) aren't set to read-only by any chance, are they?

Hmm... Just played around in the game, and it seems that for me it only works correctly if the savegame location box is completely blank. It also took me a minute to figure out that I had to hit the right arrow key to get a typing cursor in the box (I'm using keyboard mode because the version I played back in the day was before they added mouse support, and IMHO it's a much more efficient control method)