VOGONS

First post, by RickSummon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can run 7th Guest in DOSBox 0.74 without a problem, except for one thing. The MIDI music is about twice as loud as the digitized speech, so it's almost impossible to understand what anyone is saying. Is there any way to boost the digital audio channel or turn down the volume on the MIDI? I selected Sound Blaster 16 and Roland emulation.

Reply 1 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Easy just reduce the volume of whatever MIDI device you are using...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm my SoundCard does (X-Fi). And my Roland modules have a volume dial.

What MIDI device are you actually using?

Maybe just stick with Soundblaster if you don't own a real MT-32?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you really shouldn't select Roland if you don't have a Roland device hooked up to your computer. Otherwise music designed for a Roland device is being played back through your systems' midi and will sound not as intended at times even strange and ugly.
IF you have a Roland device hooked up then you have to control the volume level of your line in device and not the midi volume level.

If you want to use General Midi in games... then I don't know. I think there are alternatives to control the midi volume level in W7

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 7, by shtewps

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Had to post this up as i've searched ENDLESSLY for a way to balance the vocals in this game with the MIDI. After simply changing my sound hardware config in the "install" setup, my vocal was 10x louder than the MIDI and I can understand everything the game is telling me!

Running flawlessly in Win7 x64 under DB 0.74.

Use these audio settings during setup/install:

Attachments

• Filename
    Untitled.jpg
    File size
    473.22 KiB
    Downloads
    554 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 7, by MrD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

shtewps' image has the following settings in T7G's INSTALL menu:
Music: Microsoft Windows Sound System
Speech: Sound Blaster or Compatibles

My original retail disc doesn't have those exact options (I expect WSS was a later patch), but I use General Midi and Sound Blaster, which increased the digital voice volume to match the GM output. (Stauf's voice "Welcome to my... house." is heard with GM music on the main menu ouija board when the game starts.)

I tried setting the DOSBox MIXER SB to 100:100 before launching the game but T7G sets it to 17:17 if you select Sound Blaster Pro 2 as your card - I suspect that T7G is trying to set all the mixer levels of the SB card's outputs to its own liking but either DOSBox (0.74) or Win 7 is ignoring the request to set the SB's mixer GM volume, and that's why without setting T7G to use a plain-jane Sound Blaster you will have quiet digitised voice output. Be aware that 7th Guest has pretty awful audio mastering in general so you will have some quiet inaudible sections and some blastingly loud sections regardless, but they'll be authentic.