VOGONS

First post, by darkhour_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use Windows XP
I am trying to use DOSbox 0.74 to play and record footage of the dos game "The Flintstones Dino: Lost in Bedrock." If I just double click on the game itself, instead of loading it through dosbox, it will run full screen just fine. But I cannot find a way to record the footage.

So I tried running it on dosbox but it creates some horrible screen jerking and shaking. A video is worth millions of words > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCQEoK4oUGM
It seems that Fred will flicker(along with enemies) when there are a number of enemies on the screen at one time and whenever he moves the screen further towards the right.
The ENTIRE screen jerks around like hell whenever he is moving right and jumps right.

Oh the things I have tried, I searched your forums a lot to try to find answers, here is what I have tried;
I have tried every version available for output=
I have set windowresolution to 0x0
I have tried making scaler= none

none of that worked so i looked further into your threads and heard changing the cpu settings may work.
I tried setting the core=dynamic
I tried cycles=max
nothing worked

Heard something about having gus=false, it always has been, I never changed it. No matter what i changed so far the quality has not gotten any better OR worse. I am hoping someone may have some idea as to what is causing these issues. And again, if the game is run on its own outside of dosbox game play runs smoothly without any glitches/flickering/jerking.

Thanks for reading, I look forward to any new ideas! Really want to make a video of this game's completion.

Reply 5 of 11, by darkhour_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Works on my 486 real hardware only with turbo off. Smells like instruction timing.

But what does that mean? Sorry I am new to dosbox, I played dos games way back when so not new to dos itself, just to it's emulation.

Also tandy setting leads to a blank dosbox screen... I gave up after a few minutes and no change.

Reply 6 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think he is talking in programmer's jargon. I think he means the program is picky about internal timing (I am afraid only a programmer could debug and test that). Be patient. Someone may look into this issue.

Reply 8 of 11, by darkhour_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Malignant Manor wrote:

That should mean to try fixed cycles starting at a low amount until you get the amount that works.

ok will try this out later this weekend. Any idea what most default programs work off of as a base line? 400? 4000? Again I am new to this 🤣. Just looking for a place to start, if nothing else I may just start at 400 and mess around with it.