VOGONS

First post, by wilhitewarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I mounted my hard drive and my disc drive on DOSbox, ran the installation but when it does its tests, in testing the CD-rom drive speed it errors, I guess because my Blu-ray burner drive is far beyond anything that was even imagined at the time 🤣. But it wont let me install the game because of this and as far as I know, theres no way to bypass it on the install. Anyone have any recommendations for what to do? Thanks 😁

Reply 1 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could try typing 'cycles max' and 'core dynamic' before you start the installer if that helps.

On an actual DVD drive the test seems to pass for me. Also, are you using DOSBox 0.74? It was only recently that this game started working without a lengthy workaround.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 12, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, it PASS the check in 0.74 for me... 30-40 seconds to check. Cycles=20000, core=auto.
Then I check X-Com: Apocalypse because same dos installer was used for it. Again - 30-40 seconds and the check is passed.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 4 of 12, by wilhitewarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hum... maybe its a problem with my bluray drive then... Everything else seems to work okay but I also bypass the checks most of the time, unfortunately this game wont let me.

Oh and I'm running on windows 7, DOSbox v 0.74 btw... the CD-rom drive itself... I dont really remember its specs other than that its a blu-ray burner

Reply 7 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

please read a guide on how to use dosbox or type "intro"
You need a more complicated mount line for the cdrom.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 12, by wilhitewarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yay! it worked!
I used the mount line
mount d d:\ -t cdrom -label STARTREK
and it worked... for some reason it wouldnt work without the label thing and I'm kinda a noob to this program, I dont really understand the -t thing 🤣 but thank you very much to all of you for your help and Im sorry to have troubled you

EDIT: Oh... -t... type. I'm an idiot

Reply 9 of 12, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its a bad idea mounting the root of your C drive as C: in Dosbox, I would change that if I were you. Your going to run into more problems in the future if you continue to use it this way.