Topic actions

Reply 23 of 39, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
scottydu81 wrote:

the e drive is my cd drive

Yes, I understand that. But that dosn't mean you have to mount it as e. If you type mount d e:\ -t cdrom then your physical drive E:\ will be referred to as D:\ within DOSBox.

You could also make an iso image of the disc and use it by typing, for example
imgmount d "C:\Path To Image\AL.iso" -t iso

Reply 25 of 39, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It only needs the -t cdrom switch. Start over.

Go to [autoexec] section of your dosbox.conf and add:

mount c c:\Sierra
mount d y:\ -t cdrom -ioctl

Reinstall the game; start DOSBox with that dosbox.conf. Change to the d: drive and type install. After the files are copied, the setsound utility will start. Choose the SB16 for both MIDI and digital audio. Type al to start the game. After the game is installed, you can add:

c:
cd sierra
cd alien
al

below your mountings in your autoexec section to start the game automatically every time you start DOSBox with that dosbox.conf.

Reply 27 of 39, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
scottydu81 wrote:

make an ISO? sounds a bit out of my league. how do i do that?

Click Here
Download MagicISO and install it.
In MagicISO select make CD image file from CDROM.

Reply 28 of 39, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

And be aware that crashes/bugs (like shuttles stuck forever) are part of the game.

here is a patch, but it is only for version 1.00 to upgrade it to 1.01. He already has version 1.10.

Reply 29 of 39, by scottydu81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

im kind of getting lost here, but what i did was make an iso of the disc, did an imgmount like you posted, installed from the iso, and it is still doing the same thing.

i'd give up already if i havent invested all youse guys's time in this. thank you for being patient with a newb.

Reply 35 of 39, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have any issues with it later on, I can be contacted on the SHP forums.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 38 of 39, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which officer you get doesn't make a difference aside from which voice and face you have giving you dialog. If you send one officer to a planet the other will stand in for them with no change in personality.

The Biota attack is triggered when you exceed 29 habitats anywhere in the system. If you have less than 30 the attacks will begin on turn 2,000.

There are a number of things than can cause you to be assassinated.
SPOILERS

• You must always maintain 2 habitats on Gaea, perhaps the Biota destroyed one. If informed about the Tiptow Blood Filter you must invent it within a few turns. Also one emergency as a result of an error in the cryo-chambers will require you to make room for 250 colonists. If you fail to do these you'll be shot by one of your officers.