VOGONS

First post, by Gendokun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had a question. With the newest version of DOSBox 0.60 has anyone been able to run Quest for Glory 4 with sound? If I run the game without sound options enabled it runs but if I enable ANY sound options (Sound Blaster, midi, etc) from the install.exe setup program the game crashes with the error "Error number: 29 ..\audio.cpp:1167:0:0" and it will not launch. I am using the default DOSBox options and have used all avaiable sound options from the QFG4 setup program. Does anyone have any suggestions or also have the same problem? Thanks!

Reply 2 of 4, by Gav

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I actually get the exact same error msg when trying to play Gabriel Knight with speech, however yesterday i did (much to my amazement and glee) get QFG4 working with speech!

I don't know if it'll work for you, but I'll tell you what i did to make it work.

In the resource.cfg file these are my sound settings:

soundDrv = ADL.DRV
audioDrv = DACBLAST.DRV

I also loaded dosbox in z:\ (eg: no pre-mounted directories) and typed:

mount e "e:\" AND
mount f "f:\"

with e and f drives being the install drive and the cd drive respectively.

i then went to the game dir in e:\sierra\...\ and typed the executable and voila! - it shocked the hell out of me by firstly working, but moreso when i actually heard the narrator's voice when i started a game.

Edit: i'm using the qfg collection version, btw.

Hope that helps.

Reply 3 of 4, by Gendokun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gav wrote:
I actually get the exact same error msg when trying to play Gabriel Knight with speech, however yesterday i did (much to my amaz […]
Show full quote

I actually get the exact same error msg when trying to play Gabriel Knight with speech, however yesterday i did (much to my amazement and glee) get QFG4 working with speech!

I don't know if it'll work for you, but I'll tell you what i did to make it work.

In the resource.cfg file these are my sound settings:

soundDrv = ADL.DRV
audioDrv = DACBLAST.DRV

I also loaded dosbox in z:\ (eg: no pre-mounted directories) and typed:

mount e "e:" AND
mount f "f:"

with e and f drives being the install drive and the cd drive respectively.

i then went to the game dir in e:\sierra\...\ and typed the executable and voila! - it shocked the hell out of me by firstly working, but moreso when i actually heard the narrator's voice when i started a game.

Edit: i'm using the qfg collection version, btw.

Hope that helps.

Thanks so much I'll give that a shot and report back. 😉

Reply 4 of 4, by remixor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

By using this method, I got the music working, but I still don't hear any speech.

Also, I'm having major speed issues with the game. Certain things go really slow, such as when the screen fades in or out, and menus act quite slow (and buttons take a second to react when the most is over them or when they are clicked). On the other hand, the text messages go by so quickly that they're impossible to read (and again, there's no speech). Anyone else worked through these problems?