VOGONS

First post, by Mara Sedai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello again. Its me, the newblet pest. I am still trying to get CODS to run. 😕 I picked up an older Windows 98 computer cheap yesterday hoping that I could get CODS to work on it. NO luck. I get one of two errors everytime I try. Either divide overflow error (yes I dl'ed and applied the patch, it doesnt work) or Error 10 loading overlay: VINIT. I also dl'ed the frontend for DosBox. I'm not sure how to use it yet....

If anyone can help me get this game running I'd be very grateful. I dont understand why I can run BOCF with no prolems but not CODS. I have the cd version of CODS, btw, not Gold or floppys.
CODS is installed in c:\Wiz-cd. I tried using Moslo but no go there either. (moslo /20 D:\W7\DS.EXE) is that the correct usage for moslo to run ds.exe? It has to run from the CD right? Since Moslo doesnt run batch files I'm trying to use ds.exe. I'm so confused.....

Any suggestions?😕

Last edited by Mara Sedai on 2003-11-01, 17:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the system is old enough to be running Win98, then you're probably not going to get good DOSBox performance on it anyways. Can't you set it up to boot up in pure DOS? That would work much better.

Reply 3 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You have lots of options:
- Hold F8 while the computer boots to get a menu
- Edit your MSDOS.SYS, CONFIG.SYS, and AUTOEXEC.BAT files to add a bootup menu with an option to boot to DOS (my favorite, but it's been WAY too long since I've done it to remember how)
- Make a boot disk (probably the easiest option)

Note that no matter what way you do it, you'll have to mess around getting sound, mouse, and CD-ROM drivers going.

Reply 4 of 8, by Mara Sedai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think you're right. I think a boot disk is the way to go. Now my question is this. How do I go about setting up config.sys and autoexec.bat files to load cdrom/mouse drivers and such? Sheeesh its been so long since I've had to work with DOS! 😀

I know I can make a boot disk with Win98. Thats the easy part. 😜

Reply 5 of 8, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just because someone still has win98 on their computer doesn`t mean their computers old. I`ve still got 98 on my computer, due to games compatibility + I prefer it over XP.

Two stones, two crosses, the rest is just icing. - 7th Guest

Reply 7 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's cool that you got it working, but if you can try to post about some of the things you did to get it working then maybe it would help other people out who read this thread in the future.

Reply 8 of 8, by Mara Sedai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I think the biggest help was when I figured out how to use MoSlo. 😁 And then had to figure out what number to use after the " / " command. I tried 90. no good. Divide Overflow error. 80, 70, 60 ditto. Same error. So I tried 25. Worked fine then. Heres what I ended up using:

molso /25 ds.exe

Notice I used the "ds.exe" file instead of the "play.bat" file. When I try to use the "play.bat" file it doesnt work. So far the "ds.exe" has worked just fine though. (I'm running it in pure DOS, no emulator)

Also something that might help someone else. Make sure the moslo.com file is in the same directory as the game youre trying to run. Its a lot easier that way. No need to type in a path then. Just "moslo /number file.name".

Thanks again guys for all the help!