VOGONS

Space Quest 6

Topic actions

First post, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When I run Space Quest 6 when the game tries to play the VMD movies I get the error "Error 29 Unable to Initialize your audio hardware ../vmdsound.cpp". The movie then plays without sound. Afterwards when the game tries to play sounds or voices instead I get a screeching. The music is unaffected. The problem is that the game seems to wait for the sound to play and when it doesn't it just keeps waiting and waiting. So after I steal the shuttle and the video plays I am unable to play any further due to being unable to hear the Captain's comments.
This problem is not related to VDMSOUND used by Windows for sound emulation since I run Linux (Redhat 7.2) with a Creative Labs Soundblaster Live.I suspect the game is missing something in terms of audio but I am unsure what. I have tried playing without sound or music to either a crash when a movie tries to play or a lockup due to the sound not playing for the intro. I have also played with the "set blaster" variables to a limited degree with no success.
Any help is appreciated.

Reply 2 of 2, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That was my first idea. I tried using drivers from as many sources I could think of. Basically I got either a lockup, assorted errors, or in one case using Phantasmagoria drivers a faster speech with the same problem. I suspect that this might be the problem but can't find any better drivers. I think the problem is that this was among one of the last Sierra dos games so most of the other drivers are for earlier games.
By the way thank you for the idea about the Sierra FTP site.