VOGONS

First post, by cuttock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good evening. I hve an issue with a few games, using DOSBox 0.74 on OS X Snow Leopard.

The IMG file, or ISO file, is mounted using imgmount, like so:

imgmount d /users/IMACHD/Library/DOSGAMES/DESTDERBY.img -t iso

The game installs fine. But when I change to the game directory and type "DD" to start, as instructed by installation program, I get an error message.

"ERROR: This games requires the Destruction Derby CD to play".

Now, I have searched on the forums, and I see someone using a real CD, and some advice. But I am using an IMG file, and also, I made an ISO file. Same issue with both.
Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 18, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried ripping as bin/cue then mounting the cue?

By the way, Destruction Derby works for me by standard procedure, so your quest to a working DD is very possible

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Did you mount c?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 18, by cuttock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm. I tried this, but it seems that the issue happens. I tried ripping at lower speeds too. Same thing happens.

Thanks for your kind input.

Reply 4 of 18, by cuttock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi again Dominus. Yes, I mounted the "C" directory. The game is located in the Games/Derby directory.

Reply 6 of 18, by cuttock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gamecollector wrote:

Destruction Derby have CDA, so you MUST use .cue file with "imgmount" command.

Hi Gamecollector.
Yes, I have imgmounted with the BIN/CUE, installed, but cannot play it.

Reply 7 of 18, by cuttock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have found a solution. I just pointed to my real DVD drive in the DOSBox conf. file.
It's kind of annoying to find the right path, it's not so clear in Mac OSX as it is in Windows.

Reply 8 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Well the right paths can easily found... When you place a cd in your mac, by default the cd mount is on the desktop. So just read that name, and mount d "/volume/cdname"
It's not overly complicated...
If your real cd works and your image doesn't then you didn't make an exact rip

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 18, by cuttock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Well the right paths can easily found... When you place a cd in your mac, by default the cd mount is on the desktop. So just read that name, and mount d "/volume/cdname"
It's not overly complicated...
If your real cd works and your image doesn't then you didn't make an exact rip

Thank you, Dominus. I never knew I could do that. I do think the rip was inferior or flawed. But, I can play this game now in all its glory!

Reply 11 of 18, by jarreboum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm having the same problem. The disc mounted from a bin/cue image is correctly detected and the game starts in 0.74, but not in daum20140127, daum20150125, r4000, r4000enhanced. There is a regression somewhere. Using Windows10 x64.

Reply 12 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Daum is broken and not supported here.

Reply 14 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

What about them? Is it working with the straight SVN build by Yesterplay?
If not, what does happen?
More details with all the commands you pass in Dosbox and if there is an error what does it say?

Reply 15 of 18, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The game runs flawlessly with my SVN r4000 build on Windows 7 x64 here, but it really doesn't with the enhanced one! When starting the game it just throws the following message:

ERROR: This game requires the "Destruction Derby" CD to run

The problem seems to be the development version of SDL_sound required to get FLAC support in DOSBox. First I compiled it again without NewRisingSun's changes to the source code for CD-Rom image support (src/dos/cdrom.cpp). With that build I got a MSCDEX error when starting the game. I then compiled it again without the changes to the source code and with the same SDL_sound version the vanilla build uses and now it works just as it should:

Filename
DOSBox r4000 enhanced (without FLAC support).7z
File size
1.43 MiB
Downloads
65 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

So please, jarreboum, use this version for Destruction Derby, or just the plain vanilla build, both should work.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 16 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Thanks for taking a look.

Reply 17 of 18, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

Thanks for taking a look.

No problem! I hope I could help.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 18 of 18, by jarreboum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Yesterplay80 wrote:
The game runs flawlessly with my SVN r4000 build on Windows 7 x64 here, but it really doesn't with the enhanced one! When starti […]
Show full quote

The game runs flawlessly with my SVN r4000 build on Windows 7 x64 here, but it really doesn't with the enhanced one! When starting the game it just throws the following message:

ERROR: This game requires the "Destruction Derby" CD to run

The problem seems to be the development version of SDL_sound required to get FLAC support in DOSBox. First I compiled it again without NewRisingSun's changes to the source code for CD-Rom image support (src/dos/cdrom.cpp). With that build I got a MSCDEX error when starting the game. I then compiled it again without the changes to the source code and with the same SDL_sound version the vanilla build uses and now it works just as it should:

DOSBox r4000 enhanced (without FLAC support).7z

So please, jarreboum, use this version for Destruction Derby, or just the plain vanilla build, both should work.

Yep it does, thanks! I'm glad you were able to pinpoint the problem, hopefully this bug will be squashed soon!
I must have been confused during my testing, r4000 works indeed, it was always something with the additional patches.