VOGONS

First post, by dtaylor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just thought I'd mention that I have been able to get Breadbox Ensemble to run on my Linux box using DOSBox 0.60. It's a DOS-based GUI office suite, used to be New Deal Office, and it was Geoworks Ensemble before that. Not sure how to get it listed on the DOSBox compatibility list. Basically all you have to do is set

primaryFSD=ntfat.geo

in the [system] section of the GEOS.INI file and away you go. Much more stable than with DOSEmu. There's a downloadable demo at [url]http://www.breadbox.com,[/url] but unfortunately it doesn't come with the ntfat.geo file system driver. You might be able to get a copy from the folks at Breadbox if you asked, though.

I also have a couple of questions about DOSBox. First, is there a way to tell it to use resolutions higher than 640x480? Like, something I can put in the dosbox.conf file or something so that I can use, say, 800x600 with 256 colors? When I run vtest on my current DOSBox, it says there's just 640x480x256 modes available.

Second, the virtual TCP/IP modem feature sounds neat, but I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do with it. I gather that I can use it to make a TCP connection look like a COM port under DOSBox. Is that correct? How do I specify the address of the computer I connect to?

Third, add me to the list of people who'd like to see some sort of printer-port emulation. I'm not all that interested in print-to-file, because I can do that anyway with my software. I'd be more interested in a way to map, say, my /dev/lp0 device to LPT1. (Um, I guess that's not really a question, is it? Oh well.)

Anyway, DOSBox seems like a pretty good emulator. Nice work!

Reply 1 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

higher resolutions -> wait for the next version or compile the source.
Most of them are missing because of speed issues. not sure if the 256 color modes are in allready though.

Internal modem->same thing. It's accidently disabled in the 0.60 release
So either get the latest source or wait for a new release.

3. The printer list is long 😀 Wait for more than one version of dosbox 😀
It's having a very low priority (if it got any priority at all)

Anyway glad you like it. We don't have that many reports from non-game programs.

Just add it. and set the all the information you think that is appriorate as a comment.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 5, by dtaylor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The latest CVS works fine with Breadbox Ensemble at 800x600x256 resolution. Still scratching my head about the virtual COM port, but that's not a big deal. Thanks for the tip, Qbix.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the CONFIG.SYS FILES parameter is set to by default and whether that can be changed. Under MS-DOS, Breadbox Ensemble likes FILES set to 40, but with DR-DOS and FreeDOS, it really needs FILES=120 or higher. I've been getting some odd errors that I suspect are related to not being able to open enough files simultaneously, or file handles not being released once they're closed or something. I was wondering if I could play around with the FILES parameter and see whether changing that affects these errors.

This is running DOSBox .6 (or the latest CVS release, whichever) compiled from source on an Intel box using Redhat 9.0.

Reply 4 of 5, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have to ask, since its something I`ve been wondering ever since I started using PCs properly in the early 90s. What exactly does the "FILES=" parameter affect?

I know that certain games require one setting while others require others.

Two stones, two crosses, the rest is just icing. - 7th Guest

Reply 5 of 5, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FILES= sets the number of files that DOS will allow to be open simultaneously (8-255). Higher numbers take more environment space so it's always a balance between how many files need to be open at the same time and how much environment space is needed.

Yes, it’s my fault.