VOGONS

First post, by eppst1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything using the search function.

Anyway...

I just found the TF Collector's edition and I am trying to get it to work under Window's 7. I've installed DosBox but when I try to run the Tiestart exec I get a message saying "This program cannot run in DOS mode." Am I possible doing something wrong or am I SOL?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Ed

Reply 1 of 11, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have successfuly run tie fighter on Win 7 using DOSBOX.
However it sounds like you are running it outside of dosbox.

You need to read the readme, or have a look at this
60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox

You may find a front end such as D-Fend easier to use.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 2 of 11, by eppst1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure what you mean by "outside" dosbox. I started dosbox, did all the mounting of the drives and then get the error.

Another thing that I tried was to go into the install folder and run setup - but I got: "Illegal command: win".

Let me ask you this - did you get Old Tie Fighter to work or the Collector's Edition to work? I'm starting to think my problem is that the collector's edition is supposed to work in a windows environment - not DOS.

One thing I did try, and have moderate success with is installing XP mode. Only problem is that I can't get XP to recognize a joystick. Struggling with that right now.

Reply 3 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
eppst1 wrote:

I'm starting to think my problem is that the collector's edition is supposed to work in a windows environment - not DOS.

That message would indicate this, but AFAIK this game is pure DOS.

win would start windows 3.1, again that doesn't make a lot of sense...

Is this a copy or an original CD?

Reply 5 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you install the game from the CD first?

So you would need to mount a HDD and a CD drive, then run SETUP.EXE or INSTALL.EXE to install it to the HDD...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 11, by j'ordos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are two different collector's editions of tie fighter (and x-wing as well), there's the TIE Fighter Collector's CD-ROM, which is the original DOS version + expansion, and there's also the collector's series, which is a windows remake (using the x-wing vs tie fighter engine and redbook audio instead of the old midi tracks) It sounds like you might have the latter?

Reply 9 of 11, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are two different collector's editions of tie fighter (and x-wing as well), there's the TIE Fighter Collector's CD-ROM, which is the original DOS version + expansion, and there's also the collector's series, which is a windows remake (using the x-wing vs tie fighter engine and redbook audio instead of the old midi tracks) It sounds like you might have the latter?

yes this is correct - there was a version of Tie Fighter that used the 'X-Wing vs Tie Fighter' engine and was windows only. It does sound like the OP has this version.
I'd recommend tracking down the Tie fighter Collector's CD-ROM DOS version, because you get transitional cutscenes and the IMUSE music system, both of which the Windows version lack.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.