VOGONS

First post, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Dig which didn't run with v. 0.58 can now be played with the latest DosBox build (dpmi=true).

Actually, it's very slow....
yeah, yeah, wait a minute, I do know that
"Even though some high-end 486 and Pentium games work now, the current cpu emulation speed probably won't let you run them at decent speeds. So don't bother to post about speed"
but still I wanted to bother to post about it, since imho it can't be defined "broken" anymore.

I guess it's just a matter of a proper cpu.
The other machine I tried this with (Pentium 2 400, 128 Mb of RAM) doesn't make it, while this one (Pentium 4 1500, 256 Mb) does albeit in slow motion.
Maybe if I can hopefully upgrade to a P4 3060 come Christmas I can have it go the way it should, as compared with the decent speed afforded by the other 3 emulations I can also rely on, that is WinXP using VDMSound, or SoundFX 2000, or ScummVM.
Or the supposedly "benchmark" performance in the Win98 partition I made.
Or the virtual Win95 machine created within the Virtual PC 5.2 demo I'm using.
You try it and report if you have a P4 2,500 or higher.

I think it is no little success for DosBox 0.60 to have it roll anyway.

I'd also like to add that after upgrading to 0.60, Sam'n'max cdrom is now a charm, and Loom cdrom too.
About Loom : it's true reportedly v. 0.58 appeared to work, but not for me, because I always found enormous sound troubles with it, which I wasn't able to fix, well now 0.60 sounds perfect (all files copied to hard disk, launching the exe there, keeping the cdrom in its drive).

Last edited by gidierre on 2003-11-08, 19:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 5, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

😎
well Christmas came, and so did the 3,060 MHz CPU
( Snover : for the 64-bit thing I guess I'll have to wait until I'm 64-something myself 😒 )

and there The Dig met DosBox-0.60 again on a new playground.

Here's to report that this way Dig has become playable.

Fyi this time I decided not to use DoBoFro ( which I regularly do for all the DosBox games ) assuming it might hinder peformance, although I'm really not sure it does.
I saw checking out CPU occupancy via task mgr. that to get a satisfying performance I'd better set frameskip=10 and cycles=16,000.

Eventually, the game is playable, but still there are times it slows down a bit and I'll have to Ctrl+F11 all along and then Ctrl+F12 back.

The fact is, I'm not that good at pinpointing the "right" cycles figure, *if* there is one.
But probably this matter ought to be "dug" by the DosBox crew themselves better than I can do.

Reply 4 of 5, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aye true but what is the point of having two emulators while you can have one do it all for you. 😀 :-p

Also just because i like to see i check the compatibility charts on some ScummVM emulation and well many of the games are emulated with bugs that ScummVM has some how not been able to figure out yet.

But the point is. DosBox is going to Rule because eventually it will be able to be almost the Disk Operating System (DOS) inside another OS. Impressive no?

It will do all that you want and probably more in the future.
I can't wait to see.

Ieremiou