VOGONS

First post, by buenhembro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

CONFIGURING GENERIC CADD 6.1 TO RUN WITHIN DOSBox 0.74
IN WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL 32-BIT AND WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT

Background

Generic CADD 6.1 is a DOS-based CAD program circa 1992. Although ancient by any metric it is still an excellent program and enjoys, to this date, an extensive following throughout the world. Most users are running it in older computers booting either Windows 98 or any flavor of Windows XP, in this last case using XP's ability to emulate DOS programs.

Most machines and many applications are becoming obsolete almost daily. This has been a given in the PC world since its very beginnings, and the process has accelerated in the last few years, as more and more people are tempted by the ever-increasing availability of excellent and reasonably priced hardware and software. Therefore, a lot of people nowadays are running modern equipment with either Vista or, more likely, Windows 7.

I am not going to delve here in the limitations that both Vista and Windows 7 pose for running DOS-based programs. Suffice to say that most users who want to run an old DOS-based software in these last two Microsoft OS's have had to deal with the use of some sort of emulator or have had to dual-boot either Vista or 7 with XP, since Windows 98 is not very amenable to modern multi-core CPU's and video cards.

My equipment

In my particular case, I use two machines.

One is my “top dog,” an ASUS P5K Deluxe mobo dual-booting Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 and openSUSE Linux 11.4 through an INTEL Core Quad Q6600 overclocked to 3.42 GHz and 8 Gb of DDR2 RAM. It uses two SAMSUNG LCD monitors, one 27” with 1920x1080 native resolution, and an older 19” with 1280x1024 native resolution, both driven concurrently by an ATI HD 4850 X2 video card with 2 Gb RAM capable of running up to 4 separate high resolution monitors. I use the latest ATI 11.3 Catalyst driver and software, including Hydravision, and have configured my desktop using the 27-incher as the main monitor and the 19-incher as a separate video “scratch pad.” The monitors run through DVI cables.

My other machine is much older, but it is still quite capable. I do most of my work in it (including this instructive.) It dual-boots Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3 and openSUSE Linux 11.3 on an ABIT AN8 Ultra mobo running an AMD Opteron 165 dual core CPU overclocked to 2.7 GHz, with 1 Gb of DDR RAM. My video card in this system is an XFX 7300 GT with 512 Mb of RAM and dual DVI outputs converted to VGA signals through adapters. I use Nvidia 196.21 drivers and Control Panel software. The video card fires two monitors, a Samsung 19” as primary (shared with my other machine) and a 17” as secondary; both having 1280x1024 native resolution.

So, essentially, I have three monitors on my desk. The 27” on my left, the 19” in the center, and the 17” to the right. This setup is possible only because both smaller monitors have DVI as well as VGA input connectors, so I can run either machine, but not at the same time, since they share the 19” monitor.

Running Generic Cadd 6.1 in Windows XP Professional 32-bit

Windows XP has an excellent ability to run Generic CADD, even without the use of compatibility mode. Before I assembled my newer machine (and thus started sharing my 19” monitor) I was running Generic CADD directly as a DOS program benefitting of my video card's capability of running VESA 0107h mode (1280x1024 8-bit color) through the DVI cable I used to use then in that machine. For that, only the following instructions were necessary:

1. Go to C:\Windows\System32 folder and edit AUTOEXEC.NT file. Add the following:

rem ***The following 2 lines are for Generic CADD***
SET CADD_INIT= 107h
SET CADD_FONT= 10h
SET CADD_COLORS= 00h 00h 00h (this line sets the CADD background to black)

Save the file and exit.

2. Execute the C:\CADD6\CONFIG.EXE file. Enter to change the display and the mouse. Select VESA256.VGD as the driver, and 3-button MOUSE.COM mouse, Bus, speed=1.

3. Start CADD. Type MA (Macro Assign), press RH mouse button and assign it NP; (Nearest Point Snap), then press [Enter]. Then, press [F1] and assign it VM; (Video Menu Toggle), press [Enter].

4. Type DI and toggle Tandem Cursor OFF, click [Enter].

5. To run CADD, then press [F1] to hide the video menu and click it again only when needed. Work with CADD normally, the three buttons should work as in a DOS or Win 98 environment.

6. If by any chance your video menu does not come back when invoked through [F1], then type LV (Load Video Menu) and select CADD6 from its choices.

Running like this, the machine became a DOS platform. I would run CADD in a full screen of the 19” monitor. As such, I was incapable of using the dual moniotor arrangement with the 17” monitor, It would become blank, so I would simply turn it off until I ended my CADD session and returned to XP.

However, once I comandeered the 19” monitor and its DVI connector to plug into the newer machine, my old machine lost the ability to run CADD as configured since I was forced to connect its video card to the VGA port of the shared 19” monitor. With this setup, for some unknown reason, the video card was incapable of running CADD in the 0107h VESA mode, and when the program was invoked it just blanked both monitors. I had to CTRL-ALT-DEL out of the jam.

Much as I tried, I could not find a solution for this problem, so I started researching and found DOSBox 0.74.

With it I was able to run Generic CADD with no loss of functionality whatsoever just by tweaking DOSBox's dosbox-0.74.conf file, located in the C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\DOSBox\ folder.

In my particular case, these settings worked best. Your mileage might vary, so experiment with different values. The file itself is well documented (Thank You, DOSBox!) I left the other settings as default.

fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=1280x1024 (Note: this is my main monitor's native resolution, yours might vary)
windowresolution=original
output=overlay (Note: this value is essential, otherwise CADD will probably not run)
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper-0.74.map
usescancodes=true

Further down,

frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

And

core=dynamic
cputype=auto
cycles=23000 (Note: depending on your CPU, this determines your speed. Start at 10000 and play up or down with the value until you have a fast, smooth CADD operation.)
cycleup=10
cycledown=20

Finally,

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
# You can put your MOUNT lines here.

# ***The following 3 lines are for Generic CADD***
SET CADD_INIT= 107h
SET CADD_FONT= 10h
SET CADD_COLORS= 00h 00h 00h

mount c c:\CADD6\
C:
CADD

As you can see, I set the DOS environment variables for CADD, automounted its main folder and subfolders, changed to it as virtual C: under DOSBox and autostarted CADD itself when I invoke DOSBox.

In the CPU section, do NOT set the cycles value to max. If you do, CADD will run just nice, but your CPU usage will go to around 50% even with CADD/DOSBox at idle and your core temperatures will raise significantly (in my Opetron's case from around 30-32C normally, to 45-48C which is quite high. Set it to 10000 and start playing with it until you find the sweet spot of your machine. In my case it was 23000. At this setting my CPU usage with CADD/DOSBox on was around 1-3%, and my core temperatures went from 32-33C at idle to just 36-38C which is very acceptable.

Running Generic CADD 6.1 in Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Once I had Generic CADD/DOSBox running sweetly in my old machine with XP, I started getting the itch to try it in my newer machine and run the combo under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I was not too certain that it would run but I was encouraged by the many forum users who had had success running finicky DOS games in similar modern platforms.

I must say that having had the experience of putting the combo to work in XP, setting it up under Windows 7 was almost a veritable piece of cake.

Preliminary steps:

1. Since the program is DOS-based, I simply copied my CADD main folder and subfolders with everything in there onto a USB key and then copied them under the C:\ main drive in Win 7.

2. I also copied the DOSBox installer from my old machine and executed it in Win 7 to install it.

3. Then, I verified the existence of the dosbox-0.74.conf file, which in Win 7 is located in the C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\DOSBox folder. I played with the all essential values I mentioned in the XP portion of this instructive and found that I only had to change the cycles value to 20000 to run very sweetly in this machine, instead of the 23000 value used with my old Opteron in XP.

That's it.

However, I only had one problem:

In this machine I run a complex, dual GPU, high-RAM ATI video card using their latest Catalyst drivers/CCC. I love ATI products. They are the cat's meow. But IMHO when pressed into unusual situations such as this (or, for instance, setting up Linux), Nvidia cards and drivers are simply much easier to configure successfully than their ATI equivalents.

Thus, with the original ATI 11.2 Catalyst driver set, every time that I invoked CADD/DOSBox it woud open into the large 27” monitor which has 1920x1080 native resolution. The monitor would scale down to CADD's preferred 1280x1024 environment, but the screen looked distorted and ackward. A change of drivers to the latest 11.3 did not bring any improvement. Finally, I downloaded the ATI Hydravision software (it becones a part of the ATI CCC) and through it configured 2 separate desktops. In the second desktop, I assigned the 19” monitor as primary monitor and voila!, when I run CADD/DOSBox it starts properly in my 19” monitor, not in the larger 27”. Once I am done and get out of CADD, I simply change to desktop 1 and go back to the full functionality of my everyday configuration, with the larger monitor being the main one and the 19-incher just a “scratch pad” for additional windows.

Had I been running an NVidia equivalent card in this machine, its excellent Control Panel would have simply allowed me to assign a perticular monitor for CADD/DOSBox to run in without resorting to the multiple desktop legerdemain that ATI seems to require.

At this stage I am satisfied with this solution, but I am going to keep on experimenting to see if I find a way to invoke CADD in my smaller monitor without having to go through Hydravision and the 1-2 desktop rigmarole. I have the feeling that it might be possible. Help anyone?

Reply 2 of 40, by donensley

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your precious information. I was trying CADD using Windows 7 64-bit ultimate under the Virtual PC 2007 software, running in a Windows XP virtual disk. It would only work under the lower resolution settings, and then not too well. DosBox is a vast improvement!

Reply 3 of 40, by Theron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I am trying to get Cadd6 to run through DOSBox on an HP Windows 7 Professional computer. I have been successful when using other supporting programs like Cogo and Draft, but I am getting an error message "Error Reading C:\Cadd6\VGA3.vgd" whenever I try to run it. Can you help? Thanks!

Reply 4 of 40, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
buenhembro wrote:

mount c c:\CADD6\
C:
CADD

If this is what you're doing, well, this tends to not work in many situations.

What you need to do is:
mount c c:\
c:
cd cadd6
cadd

This, too, is somewhat sub-optimal. What would be best would be to move the CADD6 folder to something like C:\WHATEVER\CADD6 and then use
mount c c:\whatever
c:
cd cadd6
cadd

Reply 5 of 40, by Theron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have set up a folder called "dosfiles" and have moved all of my dos programs to it. I can get 2 other programs to work just fine (cogo and draft), and I got the cadd6 program to work for a bit, but somehow after changing some of the settings to get the refresh rate to speed up, all of a sudden it doesn't work at all now. I have tried reinstalling dosbox but I still can't get it to work. Any suggestions? ...and thanks for replying earlier...

Reply 7 of 40, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Theron wrote:

but somehow after changing some of the settings to get the refresh rate to speed up

Why exactly would you need to do this? Are you changing DOSBox settings, or settings for your program?

I have tried reinstalling dosbox but I still can't get it to work.

If you were messing with the DOSBox configuration, did you try selecting "Reset Options" in the "Options" subfolder in DOSBox's Start menu entry?

Reply 8 of 40, by dgutman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The main post describes a distorted Generic CADD image on a 1920 x 1080 widescreen monitor. In fact, you can run Generic CADD full screen on a wide-screen monitor without distortion, even though Generic CADD was designed for conventional CRT monitors (aspect ratio 4:3). First set the DOSBox configuration file for fullscreen at the monitor's native resolution:

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=1920 x 1080
output=overlay
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper-gcadd.map
usescancodes=true

Generic CADD corrects the aspect ratio through two numbers in the environment file, 'environ.fil'. Set the ratio of the two numbers in line 19 (normally "8.750000 6.750000") to the aspect ratio of the screen, e.g. "16.000000 9.000000." This should make circles appear to be round rather than oval, etc., as well as greatly increase your drawing area, making good on the benefit of having a wide-screen monitor. If you want, you can tweak the aspect ratio to get the circles perfect.

DOSBox may not necessary with Windows XP, because XP can run Generic CADD, even though it resets the video mode. However, I thought I needed to use DOSBox to create a 4:3 window to run Generic CADD undistorted on my wide-screen monitor (1680 x 1050 native). But now that I know how to correct Generic CADD's aspect ratio, I don't need DOSBox. I just set Generic CADD to run in video mode 106h with the VESA16.vgd driver (or 107h with the VESA256.vgd driver). Correcting the aspect ratio is done the same way, in this case with "16.000000 10.000000" in 'environ.fil'. I don't know if this works using Windows XP mode in Windows 7, but it might. Running Generic CADD directly in XP has the advantage that it runs faster than it would in DOSBox.

Reply 9 of 40, by Dawit_GC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having a problem with my mouse settings. I am unable to select the various menu commands by clicking on them or pressing enter when they are highlighted.
The mouse does work in the drawing and I can enter keyboard cmds.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Dw

Reply 10 of 40, by dgutman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This mouse problem seems to be with your Generic CADD configuration, not with DOSBox. Here is what the manual says:

To make a selection using the menu, highlight the selection with the menu bar and press the HOME key. To make a selection using the mouse, press the right button (or middle button of a three button mouse). You can also use the PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN keys to move through the submenus.

You could also check to see that you are using the correct mouse driver and use the SF command to check the macros assigned to the mouse buttons.

Reply 11 of 40, by Dawit_GC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the prompt response and the keyboard shortcuts. You are right that the problem was with a setting in Generic Cadd. I finally found my manuals and learned that the "new" Tandem Cursor cmd available from the Screen Display [DI] cmd was set to on. In that position the Menus must be selected with the "2nd" mouse button. Since I had followed your directions and assigned NP to the 2nd mouse button I was unable to access the menus with my mouse. Once I had turned the DI(T) off, the issue was resolved.
Thanks again!

Reply 12 of 40, by Dawit_GC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So tonight's trauma is getting the correct aspect ratio to appear in the CADD drawing screen. I am using a Dell 2209WA Monitor with an nVidia QuadroFX-1800.
By changing the settings in the DOSBox configuration file I am able to run in a fullscreen (native resolution = 1680x1050). However, I have had absolutely no success in changing the aspect ratio for the CADD program. I have tried a number of different settings in line 19 of environ.fil. None of them have changed the aspect ratio in any way. A circle appears to be an ellipse regardless of what numbers I set in the environ.fil file. The ratio does not appear to change at all. I am using the vga256.vgd graphics driver with 107h INIT.
What do you suggest I try next?
I am running DOSBox in WIN7x64.
Thank you

Reply 14 of 40, by dgutman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, I read the location incorrectly -- line 19 on page 2 (if it were printed a certain way, etc). The absolute location is line 72 of the file; try "16.000000 10.000000". Line 19 reads "12.600000 7.500000".

Reply 15 of 40, by Dawit_GC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, so I changed line #72 to 16.800000 x 10.500000 and line 19 to 12.600000 x 7.5000 and now my circles are vertical ellipses instead of horizontal. At least it is a change, so I suppose eventually I'll get it right.
Where can I find more info about the settings in the environ.fil? thanks

Reply 16 of 40, by dgutman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You asked for documentation. Here is what I know.

I recently bought one of the Autodesk Home Series Release 2 programs from 1993, which is basically a custom version of Generic CADD version 6. The manual says the following:

"On some video monitors and video board combinations, certain objects in Home appear distorted in shape—a square looks rectangular, or a circle resembles an oval. To eliminate this problem, another auxiliary program, Setscrn, is provided with Home. It adjusts the screen ratio to allow for perfectly round circles and even squares.

To use it, quit Home. Then, from the \HOME directory, Type Setscrn (press ENTER).

Setscrn displays a box on your screen and asks you to provide the horizontal and vertical dimensions of this box as it appears to you. Measure these with a ruler and type in each measurement (just the numbers, not the unit you used). Setscrn calculates the new screen ratio and adjusts Home for your particular video hardware. Repeat this procedure if necessary until your video display is satisfactory."

However, Setscrn was not provided. Instead the Home configuration program "config.exe", a truncated version of Generic Cadd's config.exe, includes an option to "set screen ratio". I typed in the numbers "16.000000 10.000000", which corrected the aspect ratio. The only change I found was that those numbers appeared on line 72 of the environment file. So I then manually changed line 72 of the Generic CADD environmental file to the same numbers, which again magically corrected the aspect ratio of Generic CADD for a 16:10 monitor.

In the Home configuration procedure, no box appeared on the screen. I assume that if it had appeared, the box would have had the same aspect ratio as Generic Cadd's drawing space, i.e. the green border when the menu is visible on the right side. So you can measure the dimensions of the green border and put those on line 72. That should correct the aspect ratio.

But "16.0000 10.0000" should work for your monitor. If it doesn't, that seems to indicate that the drawing area is not really full screen, i.e. that the green border does not reach to the left side of the screen. That could happen if you set "fullresolution" in the DOSBox configuration file to something other than "original". The native resolution of the screen (1680 x 1050) should be set equal to "windowresolution", not to "fullresolution".

Reply 17 of 40, by Dawit_GC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=1680 x 1050
windowresolution=1680 x 1050
output=opengl
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper-0.74.map
usescancodes=true

frameskip=0
aspect=true
scaler=normal2x

Environ.fil has Line 19=12.600000 7.500000 (why these as opposed to "8.750000 6.750000" or ?) and line 72=13.999999 10.500000. I arrived at these settings by trial and error with the use of a ruler to measure the actual screen image of a circle. My drawing window (green box) is however less than fullscreen... width=14.25" by height=10.875"! If I change "full resolution" to "original" I get the same size green box, however it is positioned all the way to the left of the screen instead of more or less centered on the screen. With either "full resolution" settings and 16.000000x10.000000 in Line 72 I get vertical ellipses.
Although it would be nice to have full screen green box, I can live with the results I get from the settings above. Thanks for your help! The reason I asked about documentation is to learn what all the other settings in environ.fil are for.

Reply 18 of 40, by dgutman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know that the settings that I used work. In particular two of your settings appear to be problematic -- I used "output=overlay" and and "aspect=false". (as well as "fullresolution=original"). The "aspect=false" setting is undoubtedly required, since we are trying to adjust the aspect ratio with Generic CADD. Having both programs fighting over how to adjust the aspect ratio is asking for trouble.

The numbers on line 19 appear to be related to a specific plotter -- probably the area that can be plotted with 8.5 x 14 paper.

Reply 19 of 40, by dgutman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

O.K. Here is what I hope is the final entry on this subject.

If "fullscreen=true", setting "aspect=true" doesn't matter as long as "fullresolution=original". Also setting "windowresolution=1680 x 1050" doesn't matter when "fullscreen=true", so you might as well set "windowresolution=original". What is happening is that when Generic CADD calls for mode 107h, 1280 x 1024 is apparently output by DOSBox, as long as "fullscreen=true" and "fullresolution=original", and the monitor, rather than DOSBox, stretches that output to cover the screen. The aspect ratio correction in Generic CADD then ensures that circles are round and squares, square.