VOGONS

Reply 21 of 40, by dgutman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I was wrong. It isn't the final entry.

As it happens, the previous tests I made were with Generic CADD set to screen resolution 104h (1024 x 768). That is why "aspect=true" had no effect. With screen resolution 106h or 107h (1280 x 1024), "aspect=true" has a big, and negative, effect, essentially as Dawit_GC described: "If I change "full resolution" to "original" I get the same size green box, however it is positioned all the way to the left of the screen instead of more or less centered on the screen."

Setting "aspect=false" solves the problem. Final settings:

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=surface
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper-gcadd.map
usescancodes=true

language=
machine=svga_s3
captures=capture
memsize=16

frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=none

Reply 22 of 40, by Dawit_GC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And as mentioned earlier, even with DOSBox configured as described, i.e.

fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=surface
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper-0.74.map
usescancodes=true

frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

I still require a setting of 16.447500 10.000000 (w/107h) in my environ.fil in order to have a true circle displayed on my Dell 1680x1050 monitor w/QuadroFX graphics card. This might also be the result of the different scaler and mapper settings. I will check that out as soon as I have a chance. I am unfamiliar with the .map files. What is the difference between gcadd.map and mapper-0.74?

Reply 23 of 40, by dgutman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The entry on line 72 in environ.fil is a parameter you can use to get Generic CADD produce true circles and squares. The numbers vary depending on the aspect ratio of the monitor. It has nothing to do with DOSBox. You would need the same entry if you were not using DOSBox, for example, if you were using Windows XP, which can run Generic CADD without DOSBox.

There is probably no difference in the mapper files. I just gave the file a different name.

Reply 24 of 40, by dgutman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The entry on line 72 in environ.fil is a parameter you can use to get Generic CADD produce true circles and squares. The numbers vary depending on the aspect ratio of the monitor. It has nothing to do with DOSBox. You would need the same entry if you were not using DOSBox, for example, if you were using Windows XP, which can run Generic CADD without DOSBox.

There is probably no difference in the mapper files. I just gave the file a different name.

Reply 25 of 40, by dgutman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As it happens, Generic CADD does have a command -- RA -- to adjust the aspect ratio. In version 6.0.3, which I have, it is virtually undocumented -- it is not in the manual or in the on-line help file; it is mentioned only in the "read.me6" file. When you execute the command, it shows two lines on the screen and asks you to enter the measured lengths of the lines (nominally the width and height of the screen). Since this command does exist, there is no need to modify "enivron.fil" manually.

Reply 26 of 40, by Boozaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looking for some help to get my CADD6 working in Windows 7 32 bit. I've tried what has been posted here but when it comes to these mods I'm dumber than a post. I have been running CADD6 in XP for a long time without any configuration changes, it just worked pretty much. But now with XP becoming unsupported I need it to work in Windows 7. I have 32 bit on my main machine where I need CADD6. Cadd kinda works as long as I only use window 7 standard vga driver and don't try to tab out, but the graphics in windows is fuzzy but nice in cadd. If I try to tab out it freezes the whole system for about 5 minutes then it drops to the desk top. If I use the manutafures video drivers (GForce GO 7400)cadd wont even start, just errors out. So I followed the info from the original post by dgutman but when I click dosbox I get ERROR READING c:\cadd6\vga3.vgd. this is using windows standard vga drivers. Any help would be appreciated. I need to be able to use the manufacture video driver.

Reply 27 of 40, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Boozaster wrote:

I've tried what has been posted here but when it comes to these mods I'm dumber than a post.

Fine. If you're using Windows 7 Pro or Windows 7 Ultimate, use XP mode instead.

Cadd kinda works as long as I only use window 7 standard vga driver and don't try to tab out, but the graphics in windows is fuzzy but nice in cadd. If I try to tab out it freezes the whole system for about 5 minutes then it drops to the desk top. If I use the manutafures video drivers (GForce GO 7400)cadd wont even start, just errors out.

I dimly recall that MS might have done something to the VESA support in Windows 7, but I can't quite recall the details. See Possible fix for : Some Nvidia cards can't make dos graphics with NTVDM and http://www.phatcode.net/downloads.php?id=196 .

Reply 28 of 40, by dgutman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you're using it in the usual way, DOSBox redefines c:\cadd6 as the c: drive. The location of the vga3 driver would then be c:\vga3.vgd. You will have to change the file paths in environ.fil and config6.fil either manually or by running Generic Cadd's config.exe in a DOSBox window.

Reply 29 of 40, by carlos1984

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone, this is a great post, I have win7 pro x64 with xp mode, I have CADD6 and have gotten as far as, "2. Execute the C:\CADD6\CONFIG.EXE file. Enter to change the display and the mouse. Select VESA256.VGD as the driver, and 3-button MOUSE.COM mouse, Bus, speed=1"

I can do the mouse but am having problems with selecting the VESA256.VGD, in the config menu, I select "1) Select a video graphics display" but when I hit 1 I get "do you wish to include the image save/load feature" I choose yes, then I get a list "video drivers are available for the following displays:" here there is a list of 80 to choose from but none are named vesa256, so I choose 74 V.E.S.A compatible, then it ask for screen res. I choose 2. 800x600-16 colors, then I choose 8x8 character font and finally a black background. Esc to save but when I try to run CADD it gives me an error "16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem. C:\CADD6\CADD.EXE The video device failed to initialize for fullscreen mode. choose 'close' to terminate the application.

I have tried different display drivers from the list of 80 but keep getting the same error.

Anyone know how to fix this or where I choose VESA256.VGD

EDIT:: I used option 80 to specify the path of the vESA256.VGD driver but when I run CADD from CMD if says error reading from C:\CADD6\VESA256.VGD

Reply 31 of 40, by carlos1984

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thank you for the reply, ok got it working,
I switched from using XP MODE in Windows 7 to using a Virtualbox Xp Guest on my Windows 7 host. Your suggestion worked and I can run CADD.exe but now it switches to fullscreen, cannot see anything for windows, including Stat menu or minimize, max, or close. The picture seems to be really zoomed in and the text is pixelated.

I am using the same settings as above in Autoexec.nt here is what the ending looks like.

REM SET BLASTER=A0
SET CADD_INIT= 107h
SET CADD_FONT= 10h
SET CADD_COLORS= 00h 00h 00h

Have I input this wrong? Do I need to put REM before SET?

Reply 32 of 40, by dgutman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't think that Generic CADD knows anything about Soundblaster, so that line is irrelevant. Full screen really does mean full screen. As far as the zoom is concerned, I'm not sure what you mean. You can set the zoom in Generic CADD. Whether the text looks pixelated or not I suppose depends on your monitor. You could try setting Generic CADD to a lower resolution -- 105h or 103h -- or you could try also setting your monitor to a lower resolution.

Reply 33 of 40, by carlos1984

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi dgutman thank you for your reply, i tried dosbox under win 7 x64 and followed your instrucions but i get this message
drive c is mounted as local directory c:\CADD6\
z:\>c:
C:\>CADD
Error reading C:\APPS\CADD6\VGA3.VGD

so since this did not work i tried changing so settings in the windows xp installation in virtualbox and i seem to have it running but i do not know what to do from here on, how do i open a file , also the mouse seems to be off a bit, i have a screen shot, , i just want to know if this is right.

I need this to open some old files at work.

Attachments

• Filename
    cadd2.jpg
    File size
    211.81 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    cadd1.jpg
    File size
    201.81 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by carlos1984 on 2014-09-26, 03:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 34 of 40, by dgutman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You are apparently now using DosBox. I assume your instruction in DosBox is "mount c c:\APPS\cadd6". Then any file path, such as C:\APPS\CADD6\VGA3.VGD, is shortened to c:\VGA3.VGD. So you will have to manually change all the file paths in Environ.fil and Config6.fil. Or you can temporarily remove the CADD instruction or change it to CONFIG, and then run CONFIG.exe in DosBox to set the new file paths. The screen shot seems to show that the screen is not centered. There should be a reset on your monitor, or some kind of centering controls, to fix that,

Reply 36 of 40, by carlos1984

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did what you said and ran config.exe in dosbox and everying seems to be working fine, now to figure out how to open files , I tried inputing LV, the left mouse click on fileselector, and then from here is where I am stuck.

Reply 38 of 40, by joninpalawan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a million, my XP laptop is dying and my "new" machine is windows 7.

FreeDWGViewer from
http://www.infograph.com/download
allows me to make decent prints. First save as dxf, and then load into the application. It gave me results good enough to print pcb masks on shiny paper with my laser printer, then iron onto the copper side of the board.

Are you aware of a souce for 3d Generic Cadd?