VOGONS

First post, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The CD version of Shadowcaster has voice audio for the cutscenes. However, only the first track plays. Then this message comes up. "CD Error 100, DevReq: Write-Protect Violation." This ends the cutscene and forces you to the next area.

I used the option "Copy Entire CD to HD" to be able to play without the disc. The cutscenes play correctly though lack the voice audio the disc provided. The problem seems to be with the audio tracks.

I'm using a BIN/CUE set imaged with MagicISO but get the same results with the actual disc mounted. I've also tried different sound options in the setup program.

Any suggestions?

Reply 1 of 11, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can confirm this issue. Works correctly in 0.73 though.

part of debug log73:

PAGING:Not enough paging links, resetting cache
MISC:MSCDEX: INT 2F 1510 BX= 0000 CX=0003
MISC:MSCDEX: Driver Function 85
MISC:MSCDEX: Status : 0100
MISC:MSCDEX: Driver Function 84
MISC:MSCDEX: Status : 0300

part of debug log74:

MISC:MSCDEX: Status : 8000
INT10:Set Video Mode 3
VGA:Blinking 8

Attachments

• Filename
    logs.zip
    File size
    4.38 KiB
    Downloads
    490 downloads
    File comment
    full logs
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 11, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Seemed like it could be a regression caused by a fix for Redneck Rampage (can't pause audio if it's not playing), and reverting that change does allow the cutscenes to continue in ShadowCaster CD. Have to revisit why pausing results from a stop command.

Reply 4 of 11, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The issue with Redneck Rampage was that MSCDEX is not aware that the cdrom device has stopped playing when a track reaches its end, and the next sequential track would not automatically start playing. The attached patch updates the MSCDEX play/pause state from the device, rather than using the result of the pause function. Stopping audio play is still handled as a resumable pause, but only if the device is actually playing. Tested with ShadowCaster CD and Redneck Rampage using IMGMOUNT, MOUNT -cdrom, and MOUNT -cdrom -ioctl_dx

Attachments

• Filename
    mscdex_stop_audio.diff
    File size
    1.04 KiB
    Downloads
    510 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 11, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rcblanke wrote:

Works correctly in 0.73

Thanks. I'll add to my note to use that version for this game until there is a new one to test.

Edit: In contrast to Shadowcaster, I just tested the CD and floppy versions of Space Hulk. The CD version has no problems but the 3.25" disk version hangs in version 0.74 and needs to be terminated. Though it plays fine in version 0.73.

Reply 6 of 11, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The attached patch updates the MSCDEX play/pause state from the device, rather than using the result of the pause function.

Yes i like this patch much better than the old one, it keeps the backends consistent. Thanks!

Reply 7 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:
rcblanke wrote:

Works correctly in 0.73

Thanks. I'll add to my note to use that version for this game until there is a new one to test.

Edit: In contrast to Shadowcaster, I just tested the CD and floppy versions of Space Hulk. The CD version has no problems but the 3.25" disk version hangs in version 0.74 and needs to be terminated. Though it plays fine in version 0.73.

please create a seperate topic for this. One issue per topic and regressions are very interesting.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 11, by darkk_afn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I realize this is an old topic, however; I am having this same exact issue with the current version of DOSBox. I have yet to see any further information on this issue though, and I have pretty much exhausted all troubleshooting on my end. An earlier post indicated that the "CD Error 100, DevReq: Write-Protect Violation" problem may be a possible regression bug with DOSBox 0.74. I do not see any indication of a bug with this game on the compatibility list though.
Should I attempt to run 0.73 for this game, or try compiling the newest SVN? Or could this be something in my setup (bad config, bad disk image, or etc)?

Reply 9 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Better try an SVN built

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 11, by beavinator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I realize this topic is now a couple years old, but I just had this exact same issue, and I discovered a fix that worked for me, so I thought I'd post it in case anyone else might still care. I just started trying all different combinations of switches on the mount command, and this one worked for me:

mount d d:\ -t cdrom -ioctl_mci

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, DOSBox 0.74, with the actual game CD mounted. First I tried -noioctl, the game wouldn't even load. I got the "CD error" with no extra commands, with -ioctl, and with -ioctl_dx. With -ioctl_dio it runs but there's no sound. But -ioctl_mci did the trick, the entire intro cutscene played with no errors. Hope maybe this helps someone else.

Reply 11 of 11, by Dusko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all, it's been some years since you guys last posted. I'm new here in VOGONS and it looks like the perfect place to get (or provide) help on all the long gone games and systems we love.

I played Shadow Caster (Floppy version) a long time ago, it was one of my favorites, now I'm testing it using DBGL (DosBox Game Launcher) and works great. Thanks to "beavinator" I'm able to use the CD versions with the -ioctl_mci option. Now, using the image option (bin file) triggers the same error and can't use the -ioctl_mci option, it looks like using the file "mscdex_stop_audio.diff" provided by "ripsaw8080" would do the trick, the thing is, I don't know how to use the file, can someone explain?

Thanks in advance, hopefully you guys are still around VOGONS!

Cheers,
Dusko

https://www.youtube.com/@myoldpc9458