VOGONS

First post, by McQuaid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have .58 installed in both windows and linux. I'm on .58 as right now the main game I want to play is Alone in the dark 1, which doesnt work in .60. In linux it launches and plays fine, I just have to increase the cpu to about 6000 and it runs full speed. My problem is in linux I'm having troubles with a psx pad hooked up to my lpt port. This is not a problem with dosbox but linux in general right now.

So to play the game with my gamepad, I installed it in wndows. (win98se) But in windows, no matter what value I set the cpu to, it's just goes from really choppy to choppy as hell. Can't get to a value that even gives somewhat acceptable performance.

Is there something I can tweak to get the performance I'm getting in linux?

Win98se 256 meg p4 1.6 gf4 ti4200.

Reply 1 of 2, by jurgen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I had the same with .58 and .60 : much slower than on Windows than on Linux. You can try setting the scaler=none and running your game fullscreen. If it runs in 320x200 resolution, this helps. Also, if possible, selecting general MIDI instead of adlib four music gains a few % cpu.
And you may get a performance boost when you compile dosbox yourself from source (using MinGW/Msys and Msys Dtk, see http://www.mingw.org + the thread on compiling dosbox on Windows)

Reply 2 of 2, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

windows versions is compiled with mingw (so same compiler as linux)

6000 cycles is a bit high for alone in the dark 1 though.
You could try setting keepsmall=true in the configfile of 0.58 maybe that helps.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!