VOGONS

First post, by VisitntX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Using the latest svn of dosbox, I played the game "Jason Storm" (I had played this game before without problems, with the latest version of dosbox (0.74), but now every time the screen moves, the game starts to have graphics errors, for example, we move one step and the screen looks good, another step and the graphics messed up, so on.

Here I will leave two screenshots to make it more clear:

RIGHT:

image-3ACB_4DF10D1E.jpg

WRONG:

image-345C_4DF10D3F.jpg

Reply 2 of 31, by VisitntX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mmm, I do not think the problem is as I have configured the dosbox, since with the same settings in the latest version (0.74) the game runs without problems (besides that I did several tests with various configurations and nothing, always the same error)

Reply 3 of 31, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I've changed the title a bit to reflect the regression status a bit.
Thanks for the report.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 31, by VisitntX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, thanks Qbix.

You could fix this problem?

Here I leave the game if anyone is interested in fixing this problem or do some testing (is a shareware/playable demo)

Attachments

• Filename
    jasonstorm1.7z
    File size
    140.67 KiB
    Downloads
    144 downloads
    File comment
    Jason Storm (shareware/playable demo)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 31, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I haven't been able to reproduce the problem. Tried default settings with latest SVN, also tried machine=ega and machine=vgaonly, none show the problem described.

What platform did the problem appear on? Maybe it is an endian issue... Also, where did the SVN build come from? Is it clean SVN? Is it self-compiled or obtained from somewhere?

Reply 6 of 31, by VisitntX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried with all possible settings and nothing, still the problem (but as I said before, with dosbox 0.74, with any configuration, the game works perfectly)
The SVN was downloaded from emucr.com, i also tried with the latest build of ykhwong.x-y.net, and with that version of dosbox the game works without any problem.

I do not know then what is the problem...

Reply 7 of 31, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The emucr builds and the recent builds of 0.74 with integrated munt show the problem. I don't know if there are any changes in the munt builds that would have an impact on graphics, but it suggests that the problem is a compile or build issue. I could be mistaken, but I think the emucr and munt builds are compiled with VC. My builds of SVN source with GCC do not show the problem.

EDIT: MB6 shows the problem, but ykhwong's builds do not. This looks more and more like a VC vs. GCC build issue.

Reply 9 of 31, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Ripsaw can reproduce it with vc builds thus that part of your report is done 😉

Strange how such vc vs gcc bugs come up from time to time. We used to run in those with exult since our snapshots are always done with vc but most of our rleases with vc 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 12 of 31, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Or use 0.74 release for this game or does it have any other problem fixed by SVN?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 14 of 31, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well it could be a bug on our side. (array too small, uninited variable)
Did somebody already check if it happens with 0.74 compiled in VC as well ?
I could provide a SVN build compiled with the build system that compiled 0.74.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 15 of 31, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The munt builds are based off 0.74 source and appear to be compiled with VC, so that's one example that points to it being related to which compiler is used.

MB6 has the issue, so I guess hal will be in a good position to track it down.

I've tried a number of other chained mode EGA side-scrollers from Id and Apogee, and they don't have the issue. Only the Jason Storm trilogy, both older and newer versions, have the issue. So, perhaps a combination of memory handling (fastmem) and the particular scrolling method used.

Reply 16 of 31, by VisitntX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Qbix, I'm interested with you svn compiled in the same way that the version 0.74, if you can, could you upload it? (So, I use one only dosbox for all)

And thanks to all for the cooperation trying to see what is the problem.

Reply 18 of 31, by VisitntX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, that I know, is for that why I'm asking the last svn compiled with GCC (and no, I do not know how to compile), if someone is so kind, could upload it to me?
If not, no matter, I will continue as usual (using various versions of dosbox)