VOGONS

First post, by gumpy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can move the pointer in this game with a serial mouse. The pointer can't be moved with the keyboard. Since DOSBOX doesn't emulate serial mice right now, I was hoping that a joystick will work to move the pointer. (From what I've read in the game's manual - it seems to support a joystick as well as a serial mouse)

I don't have a real joystick for my PC - so I was hoping that there would be a way to emulate one (by assigning joystick movement to keys on my keyboard. So for example the = key would be the equivalent of moving the joystick up).

I've tried PPJoy, but I am running Windows 7 and it won't let me install it because the driver is not certified. (Grrrrr....) I've tried various ways to install it and they won't work.

DosBox has a keymapper where you can assign joystick moments to keys. Since I don't have a joystick - the joystick movements show up as disabled on the keymapper.

Know here is my question. Would it be possible for someone out there with a joystick to make a keymap for me? And then e-mail it to me, and I could use it on my computer?

The way I would like it mapped would be:

= for up
[ for left
] for right
' for down
left alt = fire button 1
right alt = fire button 2

I'm running DosBox 0.74 on a 32 bit Windows 7 machine.

7citiesbanner.gif

Reply 1 of 6, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gumpy wrote:

Since I don't have a joystick - the joystick movements show up as disabled on the keymapper.

that only happens if joysticktype=auto. (Read comments in config file - "auto chooses emulation depending on real joystick(s)")

try to force joystick emulation by setting e.g. joysticktype=2axis. Joystick movements/buttons should then be available in the keymapper. Used this to play Shamus (keyboard control is absolute shit in that game).

Reply 2 of 6, by gumpy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I set the joystick to 2axis. The pointer now shows up in Tass Times - which it didn't do before. So it thinks that there is a joystick plugged in now.

I still can't move the pointer however. I tried editing the keymap file in notepad to assign joystick movements to keys and it doesn't work.

I've attached the keymap file to this post. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Attachments

• Filename
    mapper-0.74.zip
    File size
    988 Bytes
    Downloads
    161 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

7citiesbanner.gif

Reply 3 of 6, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well, yeah, your jbutton_0_* and jaxis_0_* have nothing assigned to them. Looks like you did it the wrong way around (line format has the emulated event first, then the real key assigned to it).

Just do it from the built-in mapper (Ctrl-F1), less of a fuss than notepad.

Reply 4 of 6, by gumpy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't use the built in keymapper, since when you assign a key it asks you to press the new key or move a direction on the joystick - and since I don't have a joystick, I can't assign the joystick directions with the built-in keymapper. 🙁

I tried to reverse the commands with notepad but I had no luck...

Do you have your keymap file that you made for Shamus?

7citiesbanner.gif

Reply 5 of 6, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IIRC you just click the desired action on screen (joystick this or that) and then press the key you want to trigger it - i definitely used the built in keymapper to do this, without a real joystick, so evidently it's possible...

anyway, here's the relevant section of the map file I use, you can overwrite all jbutton_* / jaxis_* lines with these. However, i mapped movement to the numpad keys, and the buttons to left alt / left ctrl, so you'll need to modify the "key #" values to suit your needs:

jbutton_0_0 "key 308" "stick_0 button 0" 
jbutton_0_1 "key 306" "stick_0 button 1"
jaxis_0_1- "key 264" "stick_0 axis 1 0"
jaxis_0_1+ "key 258" "stick_0 axis 1 1"
jaxis_0_0- "key 260" "stick_0 axis 0 0"
jaxis_0_0+ "key 262" "stick_0 axis 0 1"
jbutton_0_2
jbutton_0_3
jbutton_1_0
jbutton_1_1
jaxis_0_2- "key 257" "stick_0 axis 2 0"
jaxis_0_2+ "key 265" "stick_0 axis 2 1"