VOGONS

First post, by Assi1987

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone, I have a problem getting Network Q RAC Rally to properly work.
I've got the 1993 version, originally on CD-ROM. According to the list, it's supported. So I installed the game, but can't get the music and sound to work. During the game I get internal speaker sound effects, but no sound blaster music and sound.

I've tried a number of things. There's no setup, so no way to force the game to use soundblaster. I tried downloading a copy and the music works fine there, but all of them have copy protection, while mine doesn't. If I just wanted to play, I'd be fine, but I'm trying to get all my old Dos games to run on an external HD, so I'll have instant access and I don't want to have to look up the code every time.

I tried copying some files of the downloaded one to my installed version, and the file that seems to get the music working is rally.cfg. Only problem is, the music stops when I enter the menu, sine that file is different from mine because it's the one that has the copy protection.

Why won't the music and sound work with my original copy? Anyone else had this problem?

Reply 1 of 6, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could it be that you'd have to perform a full (maximum) game installation to have the audio playing? Readme says:

(3) With MINIMUM installation selected, no CD audio is available.

FWIW, my CD has a setsound.bat to configure audio devices.

Reply 2 of 6, by Assi1987

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's strange.. I can't select anything like that during the installation, only the drive and folder to install the game in. Are you sure you're talking about the same version? I believe there are a couple of games with nearly the same name. I'm talking about this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNiXZVS-Jlw

Reply 3 of 6, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, right, sorry for the confusion; I was talking about the later release (http://www.mobygames.com/game/rally-championship). Sorry, can't help you with the 1993 version as I don't have it.

Reply 4 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I've tried version 1.3 dated 10/31/94 on cdrom, and the Sound Blaster sound works fine for the intro/menu music and in-game sfx using default settings in DOSBox 0.74; although I needed to increase cycles because 3000 isn't sufficient. The CD has some audio tracks, but AFAICT they are bonus material and not used by the game.

After installation the game is configured for speaker sound. You have to select Sound Blaster from the menu, and what is a bit confusing here is that the sound device selection is under the "controls" menu, not under the "options" menu. Note that you must pass the doc-check copy protection to get to the menu to be able to change the sound device. Also, not a big deal, but the Disney sound appears to have problems in DOSBox... will experiment with that later.

Reply 5 of 6, by Assi1987

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, I found the sound settings where you said they were. I set it to soundblaster, but I still don't get music on the menu. Works during the intro and the sound effects work during the game as well though. I don't have any copy protection in my version though, but the game works fine. I noticed the copy protection is in the menu.exe file and the music works when I replace it with a menu.exe file which does have copy protection, so I'm guessing it's my menu file?

My version is from 1996 it seems. The game has autorun for windows as well, from which you can install the game, but the installation and the game itself are DOS programs. I'm guessing I just got a bad re-release?

Disney sound didn't work for me either btw, made the game crash at the intro.