VOGONS

First post, by beigemore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With my old PC, a Pentium 75mhz with a Roland MT-32 (has an MPU-IPC and an SB16 for connectivity), I'm able to get Prince of Persia to play using the MT-32.

In DOSBox, however, I cannot get the game to recognize that an MT-32 is attached. I've tried using real hardware (using a Roland UM-1EX USB MIDI adapter) as well as an emulated MT-32, and I get the same results. The two MT-32 options work great in most games for me, but when trying to use an MT-32 with Prince of Persia in DOSBox, the game switches back over to the PC speaker.

I tried removing the PC speaker sound files (ibm_snd1/2.dat) to force the MT-32 sound files to be used (mt32snd1/2.dat), and also tried renaming the MT-32 sound files to the PC speaker sound file names, but of course none of that worked.

Has anyone been able to get Prince of Persia to work with an MT-32, real or emulated, in DOSBox?

Reply 1 of 23, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

What version of the game do you have? Version 1.3 has a setup program to choose the sfx and music devices, and the MT-32 options appear to work OK with both a real MT-32 and MUNT.

Reply 2 of 23, by beigemore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Definitely using v1.3 and it's not working for me in DOSBox. I've tried forcing mt32 through command line parameters and it always kicks back to PC speaker if MT-32 is ever attempted.

I've downloaded the game from several different places with the same results. I've also tried the copy off of my original Prince of Persia Collection CD and it does the same with that.

I really just don't get why the MT-32 would work with other software, but not PoP.

Reply 3 of 23, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Games can't detect an MT-32 or other synths because they're passive devices; they detect the MPU, and PoP 1.3 seems to handle that fine with mpu401=intelligent (the default).

If you're using downloaded copies, ask where you downloaded them, you won't get any help here.

Reply 4 of 23, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Prince of Persia works fine with DOSBox + USB Midi adapter + MT-32...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 23, by beigemore

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

Games can't detect an MT-32 or other synths because they're passive devices; they detect the MPU, and PoP 1.3 seems to handle that fine with mpu401=intelligent (the default).

If you're using downloaded copies, ask where you downloaded them, you won't get any help here.

Yeah I do understand how the MT-32/MPU stuff works. I've had mine for about 10 years now. Also, as previously stated, I'm using a legit copy of the software that I own. The version that comes with the collection disc is 1.3.

I appreciate you guys telling me that it works, but I'm asking for help on how to get it to work. It just seems very odd that the MT-32 works with others game and just not this one.

Reply 6 of 23, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Do you usethe setup program? It reads as if you are doing everything else (commandline parameters, mucking with files) but notthat you set the game up correctly to begin with.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 23, by bailey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Do you usethe setup program? It reads as if you are doing everything else (commandline parameters, mucking with files) but notthat you set the game up correctly to begin with.

Yep, I went through the setup program first and have tried it multiple times just to make sure it was set correctly. When I reload setup.exe, it shows MPU/MT32 is set as the default audio device, so it's definitely saving the configuration. I didn't start attempting to mess with the other files under after that failed.

bloodbat wrote:

Also, first and foremost, is your .conf file set correctly to emulate munt?

Right now I'm using ykhwong's build that has it built in. I'm using Win7 64 and having a hard time getting Munt to work as a stand alone. I found some thread here where I was able to download a precompiled stand alone for it (MT32Emu Driver GUI), but clicking install driver says no midi ports. I installed loopmidi to create one, but the standalone Munt doesn't find the port. Tried running both as admin and it made no difference.

With this build of DOSBox, this is my current [midi] section in dosbox.conf:

mpu401=intelligent
mididevice=mt32
midiconfig=
mt32ReverseStereo=off
mt32DAC=auto
mt32reverb.mode=auto
mt32reverb.time=5
mt32reverb.level=3

I had midiconfig set to 1 while using the USB adapter and other games in DOSBox were able to use the real MT-32 without issues, but I removed it since I'm trying to use the built in emulated one now, which doesn't show up in the midi mixer list, but seems to work ok for the most part.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's help.

Reply 10 of 23, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The munt emulation, either built in or as a midi device needs the mt32 ROMs

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 23, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

For the real device make sure that you select the correct midi port for the usbmidi device. You get that through config /listmidi on the dosbox prompt (look that up in the readme, I'm not too sure about that).

Reply 12 of 23, by bailey

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

The munt emulation, either built in or as a midi device needs the mt32 ROMs

Yep, I've definitely got those in place, which is why the other games seem to work with the emulated MT-32 just fine.

Dominus wrote:

For the real device make sure that you select the correct midi port for the usbmidi device. You get that through config /listmidi on the dosbox prompt (look that up in the readme, I'm not too sure about that).

Using mixer /listmidi, I shows 0 as the "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" (the default Windows soundfont, essentially), and when I have my USB adapter connected, it shows up as device 1. I can set midiconfig=1 and most games work just fine with the real MT-32.

It's just really weird that the problem only seems to be with Prince of Persia. No other games I've tried seem to have any issues getting to and using either MT-32, real or emulated, except for this one.

I think I may just be stuck with what the Sound Blaster can provide for now.

Reply 13 of 23, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Sorry no more ideas ;(

Reply 14 of 23, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Everything seems all right...except the game 😖
It does work fine for me...
Just out of curiosity, the DosBox status window does indeed display "MIDI: Opened Device: mt32", right? (my build also displays: "MT32: using default reverb", but I don't know if ykhwong's does that.)

Reply 18 of 23, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Setting ps1audio=off appears to work around the problem. With the default of ps1audio=auto, ykhwong's build identifies the machine model as a PS/1 through INT 15/C0, and for some reason PoP will not use the MPU in that circumstance. Actually, having the machine identify itself as a PS/1 when using default settings seems like it could cause other problems...

Reply 19 of 23, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

gosh, don't we have written somewhere to use the official release of DOSBox when reporting bugs ............

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!