VOGONS

First post, by zwtodd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I recently found a game I have been trying to find / remember for years now: Lunicus. I found it on Amazon, got it today, and have spent about 5 hours trying to get it to run.

I have DosBox 0.74 installed, and Windows 3.1 installed using DosBox. Win31 works fine when installed. My native system is Windows 7.

I install Lunicus in Win31 using the CD. I have also tried making an image, mounting it in daemontools, and installing from there. Either way I do it, the installation seems to work perfectly fine. The installation of Win32 sys(and the freecell game) seems to go fine as well.

When I attempt to play the game, the game cannot find the cd drive.

So, I started googling...Here is what else I tried:

Making an iso of the cd and using imgmount.

Copying the contents of the CD to a directory and mounting that directory with -t cdrom.

Also, after that WIN32 files finish installing, there is a window that says that it must use "share.exe" and to run it before running windows or add it to autoconfig. I could not find a share.exe file, or one on the internet. I did find fakeshare via a tutorial, but that did not work either. I understand dosbox does not include this file due to copyright reasons, as well.

I have installed win31 and lunicus several (hundred it seems) times today trying to figure this out. One of the search engine results was from a post on this thread made a while ago. i tried all the answers in that thread with no joy.

Anyone have an advice for to get this game running right? If you need anymore info on what I have done or not done, I will answer asap.

Zach

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunicus

Reply 2 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If it needs real share you are out of luck and better off with a VM. You can have share in Dosbox if you "boot" from a hard drive image in dosbox, but then you lose access tothe CD Rom ;(

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 13, by zwtodd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

VM meaning virtual machine? Im not extremely savvy to the terms, I just have a general understanding of tech and know in general how emulation works, etc.

If I boot from a hard drive image in dosbox, are you saying there is no way to have access to a cd rom drive? I have both the physical disc and an iso available, and i mount the iso with daemon tools.

Reply 4 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yes and yes...

If you find a virtual disk manager for dos or windows 3.1 then you can use the cd rom image if it fits on the hd image.

Reply 5 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

If you find a virtual disk manager for dos or windows 3.1 then you can use the cd rom image if it fits on the hd image.

That would be shsucdhd , if I'm not mistaken. As I recall, it doesn't support CD audio, unfortunately.

Reply 6 of 13, by zwtodd2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zwtodd wrote on 2011-08-19, 06:42:

Hi,

I recently found a game I have been trying to find / remember for years now: Lunicus. I found it on Amazon, got it today, and have spent about 5 hours trying to get it to run...

Hello, I am the OP of this thread. New login, cuz well, It has been 12 years now, and a lot has changed/happened in my life. Career changes, relationships, presidents, wars, love and death and life...

The only constant thing of the past decade and some change is my inability to get this game to work. 12 years, still no Lunicus. I try and try and try once a year or every couple years...

Still nothing.

Not giving up. I will relive my youth one day.

Zach

Reply 7 of 13, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're on Windows, you could also try OTVDM: https://github.com/otya128/winevdm
https://github.com/otya128/winevdm/releases/tag/v0.9.0

OTVDM would need the CD to be mounted natively, not inside an emulator.
The Mixed Mode CD Image can be mounted by Daemon Tools Lite or equivalent software, such as Virtual CloneDrive.
Beware that the DT Lite installer tries to install adware that is not a gift at all... Maybe try alternative software for that, or an external DVD ROM drive, and burn the image to a CD-R.

Anywa, if OTVDM doesn't work, DOSBox-X can make it work with Windows 3.11 or 95. Failing that, you can use VirtualBox, or 86Box, or PCEM.

Reply 8 of 13, by Makus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Zach,
perhaps your long quest for Lunicus is finally over!
I tested the game in DOSBox Daum, an old version of the emulator abandoned since 2015, and Lunicus seems to be working properly.
The configuration is quite complex, though: do you have an account at a cloud/file sharing service (Google Drive for example) where I can upload a pre-configured environment?

Reply 9 of 13, by zwtodd2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Makus wrote on 2023-10-24, 06:12:
Hi Zach, perhaps your long quest for Lunicus is finally over! I tested the game in DOSBox Daum, an old version of the emulator a […]
Show full quote

Hi Zach,
perhaps your long quest for Lunicus is finally over!
I tested the game in DOSBox Daum, an old version of the emulator abandoned since 2015, and Lunicus seems to be working properly.
The configuration is quite complex, though: do you have an account at a cloud/file sharing service (Google Drive for example) where I can upload a pre-configured environment?

Hello! I do have a google drive account, not sure how you would upload to it? Pm me?

Reply 11 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Makus sent me the files and I'm baffled, seems to be one of the rare programs that actually need a working share, which is not working with DOSBox (but I didn't have the problems you mentioned).
I've sent you the files to get it working using Daum. BUT I suspect it would work with DOSBox-x as well, but no time to test that 😀

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 12 of 13, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Perhaps I have a different version of the game, as it appears to work fine in 0.74 and SVN with Windows 3.1 or 3.11 enhanced mode with Win32s installed. I saw no mention of SHARE during installation. However, there are paging access errors with the default CPU type (the infamous "Unexpected DOS error: 21"), and the standard remedy of cputype=486_slow or cputype=pentium_slow is effective in this case as it is in others.

Last edited by ripsaw8080 on 2023-11-22, 22:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Hmm, odd. It was just not starting right away for me.