VOGONS

First post, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When launching Chessmaster 3000 using dosbox 0.74, the game starts, I briefly see the chess board, and then it crashes back to the prompt.

The message on the screen states:
Critical Error!
Last Loaded Resource = 42.
Hardware configuration has changed, please reinstall.

I have tried reinstalling, and I get the same error.

I have tried turning all the upper\extended memory options to false (xms, ems, umb) as memory tends to be the number one thing that keeps finnicky games from running in my experience.

Has anyone else gotten this game to run, or have any suggestions? Much appreciated.

Reply 1 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like an anti-piracy measure. (Something like: person A installs the game, copies the installed files and gives them to person B, but person B has different hardware, so the game objects.)

Are you using an original copy installed from the original disks?

You can also try installing to a hard disk image and booting into real DOS from within DOSBox; certain hard drive functionality (which may be necessary for the anti-piracy measure, if that is the case) is not otherwise available normally in DOSBox.

Reply 2 of 9, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I am using original install files, how ever I am mounting the folder they are in rather than a physical disk drive.

I am mounting the folder they are in to A: with the '-t floppy' command.

When I install everything seems to go well. But launching the game immediately throws the error.

I am not familiar with the process of booting into real dos within dosbox. Is it similiar to what is posted here: Sample usage of a harddisc image in DOSBOX

I see Chessmaster 3000 listed as compatible with dosbox on the games list.... so I find it strange I am the only person online posting this problem.

I went ahead and tried various versions of the game from around the net wondering if maybe there was a problem with my version - but they all give me the exact same error.

Reply 3 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
exofreeze wrote:

I am not familiar with the process of booting into real dos within dosbox. Is it similiar to what is posted here: Sample usage of a harddisc image in DOSBOX

Yes, something like that. But that is a very old thread. You can follow some of the instructions at the start of the booting Win9x guide.

I see Chessmaster 3000 listed as compatible with dosbox on the games list...

You mean at http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?letter=C ? I only see Chessmaster 4000.

Reply 6 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, what gives you that idea? Any old bootable floppy disk will do; you may very well even be able to do what you need with the provided 2 GB FreeDOS disk image.

Reply 7 of 9, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

follow-up - eventually after trying like 8 copies of the game, I found one that plays fine. No explanation why this one works and the others don't.... the files look identical.

Reply 8 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So you were unable to get anywhere with the hard drive image?

exofreeze wrote:

the files look identical.

The sure way to check if files are really identical is to verify a checksum with a utility such as WinMD5.