VOGONS

First post, by nitro322

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just picked up the original Myst and installed it under dosbox / WfW 3.11, and it mostly works. However, none of the videos play. It seems to be a quicktime problem, as discussed in these previous threads (both are pretty old, so I thought it'd be better to start a new thread):

Win3.11 - Unable to load the QuickTime component, QCMC.QTC
Quicktime Movie Player for Windows 2.0x Fails to Work in Win 3.1 in DOSBox

Unfortunately, none of the proposed solutions work for me. I tried installing Quicktime 2.1.2 as suggested, and while the intro animated Broderbund plays after this, still none of the rest of the videos will play. I tried (guessing) restoring some of the original quicktime DLLs and QTCs in the game directory, but that just resulted in various error messages (which is guess is not that unexpected).

I'm out of ideas at this point. It seems like this should be possible, and at least one person seems to have specifically mentioned getting Myst working properly, but I really haven't had much luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Might be easier to purchase the GOG.com version and keep the original box tucked away?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 13, by nitro322

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The GoG version is a remake/enhanced edition that requires Windows. I'd rather stick with the original version, which has the added bonus of working under Linux via dosbox. Not to mention that, unlike the GOG version, I already own it. 😀

Reply 3 of 13, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Judging from your first post, it doesn't work ATM 😜
Anyway, the quicktime you installed does work for other videos? Also, the Windows install has working drivers and such? There's a lengthy post somewhere here that details how to install all that.

Reply 4 of 13, by nitro322

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, yeah, how about, "theoretically works under Linux via dosbox?" 😉

Yeah, everything else works fine. I already have Monopoly and You Don't Know Jack installed under 3.11 and both work great. Both video and audio drivers should be working fine, and the sample QuickTime move that comes with 2.1.2 plays in the dedicated movie player. It's just the in-game QT stuff that seems to be failing.

It's pretty frustrating. All the pieces seem to work as expected, and other games work, but in this particular case, the components just won't play nice together. Since I've seen other people on the forum specifically address QT issues with games under 3.1x, I'm hoping one of them can chime in. Any other suggestions are, of course, also welcome.

Reply 5 of 13, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe read this
Quicktime in Windows 3.1

and, maybe, ask help to this guy that seems to have it working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF9397BSuB0

and his blog.

http://clone2727.blogspot.com/2009/07/myst-in … s-31dosbox.html

Reply 6 of 13, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Many of the movies in Myst don't work in DOSBox 0.74 when using an image of the disc with IMGMOUNT. A workaround is to mount the image in Daemon Tools/Alcohol and mount that virtual drive in DOSBox, or mount a physical disc. The problem is that the QuickTime movie files on the disc have associated files (resource forks from a Macintosh OS) that aren't ignored when using IMGMOUNT. You can see this with a DIR command in the movie directories on the disc, where each movie has two files with the same filename.

The issue was fixed by revision 3633 in SVN, so it's possible to get working movies with IMGMOUNT in an SVN build.

It occurs to me that the issue could also apply to MOUNT on a non-Windows OS, in particular the Mac OS where resource forks could have some meaning. Maybe someone can check that and report.

Reply 7 of 13, by nitro322

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Huh, that very likely is my problem then, as I'm using imgmount. Thanks, ripsaw8080, I highly doubt I would've stumbled across that answer on my own. 😉

I'll investigate this a bit tomorrow and see if I can confirm.

Also, bloodbat, thanks for the suggestions. I had actually found all of that myself already (spent a while searching before finally posting here) and tried most of it, though.

Reply 10 of 13, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The original version of Myst is a 16-bit Windows game, so what is the point of mentioning Win9X here? Also, there is currently no support for mounted cdroms after booting an OS inside DOSBox. Of course you can use virtual cdroms running inside the emulation, but the issue does not apply in that case.

Reply 12 of 13, by nitro322

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

By the way, ripsaw8080, you nailed it. I just patched the 0.74 source with the fix you pointed out and all the movies work perfectly now. Didn't have to change a single other thing.

Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction.

Reply 13 of 13, by typh0id

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know this is an older post but I was having the same problem and I did manage to find an alternate solution and thought this might help anyone newly encountering this issue:

If you copy the contents of the MYST iso to a folder (eg. \dos\windows\mystcd\) and then use the "mount" command, instead of "imgmount" on that folder (eg. mount d \dos\windows\mystcd\ -t cdrom), it will work just the same as if you had the iso mounted in a virtual drive outside of DOSbox.