VOGONS

Reply 20 of 28, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The attached ZAKJR executable fixes the off-center screen and the composite colors. The output looks just like the photo I took of the Tandy 1000 SX's composite color output. The RGBI colors look fine too.

Oh, and because I hate having to ask people to hack everything for me, I have attached the executable for Maniac Mansion, which also has this problem and has been fixed for the PCjr. using NRS' hack, the file compare command with the binary switch and a hex editor.

Attachments

• Filename
    MANIACJR.zip
    File size
    38.45 KiB
    Downloads
    175 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Great Hierophant on 2014-02-08, 05:41. Edited 1 time in total.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 21 of 28, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

This hacking of Maniac Mansion and Zak has only peripheral relevance to DOSBox and the composite patch, and is better joined to the thread where the hacking was first discussed.

To clarify, none of these hacks are needed for DOSBox (just use the Tandy machine type); and a real PCjr must be upgraded with a memory "sidecar" expansion in order to run the games, hacked or not.

Reply 22 of 28, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And you will need to run a program like King's Quest I or tdyspkr.com to enable the external sound output, or you will hear nothing from these hacked games on a PCjr.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 23 of 28, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This leads me to the question: What is the point of setting BIOS mode 4 then doing tens of manual I/O writes when you could just set BIOS mode 8 and be done with it? Silly LucasArts.

Reply 24 of 28, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Great Hierophant wrote:

And you will need to run a program like King's Quest I or tdyspkr.com to enable the external sound output, or you will hear nothing from these hacked games on a PCjr.

You could use the bypassed Tandy register writes as "patch space" to enable output from the sound chip:

mov ax,8003h
int 1ah

or, if you prefer a more direct approach:

in  al,61h
or al,60h
out 61h,al

Reply 26 of 28, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NewRisingSun wrote:

I have updated ZAKJR.EXE to incorporate the external sound output enable code.

I checked the differences between the current and prior executable, and the changes make sense except why the change of two bytes at 0x12 and 0x13?

I made the appropriate changes to Maniac Mansion, except those bytes, and it Maniac works and enables the external sound. So does your Zak patch. I uploaded this new Maniac modification above.

Reply 27 of 28, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

why the change of two bytes at 0x12 and 0x13?

That field in the EXE header is a checksum of all the non-overlay bytes in the EXE file. It's not terribly important, and most linkers don't set it at all, but Zak's apparently did, so I recalculated it after patching for consistency.

Reply 28 of 28, by Nilex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@ OP, and everyone else with the same specific requirement

Offsets for 1993 MANIAC.EXE (non-enhanced & bundled with DOTT) are 751 & 752 (hex). Change BB FF to EB 19 and you're done.
And set tandy=on (true does nothing) in your .conf.

Ty ripsaw for EB 19!