VOGONS

First post, by Hawaii50

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I am trying to use Dosbox V0.74 to run a CD copy of Primal Rage on a Windows 7 machine.
Windows 7 machine has ASUS motherboard and i5 CPU.
I have used dosbox with:
mount c C:\oldgames
mount d D:\ -t cdrom -label PRAGEIV122
I have run install from CDROM and installed FULL GAME into C:\RAGE
I set RAM to 16MB, Sounblaster for sound.
When I run with PRAGE -f the dosbox status window displays illegal writes and the dosbox window is black.

Anyone able to help? 😢

Reply 3 of 7, by Hawaii50

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Gamecollector, appreciate the advice but I have read the known issue and have tried reinstalling with both 8MB and 4MB RAM. The same result occurs as for 16MB.

Thanks rcblanke I have downloaded a patch from The Patches Scrolls and will try it tonight and let you know, my CD is 1994 and the patch is listed as 1999 so sounds promising.

Reply 4 of 7, by Hawaii50

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks heaps rcblanke, the patch from The Patches Scrolls worked a treat, it just replaced the main executable and everything else worked, sound, music and in 16MB, now I just need to learn the actions, your a boss, cheers.

Reply 5 of 7, by Glitchologteam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

there is a alternate way to fix that problem. I had the same problem in the past about primal rage not installing the game proprely. You could have used windows xp cmd to install the game, then copy the 16 mb file of the cd on the folder where you installed the game (it will replace many file because it install the default 4 mb version).

Reply 6 of 7, by nerdydino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hawaii50 wrote:

Thanks heaps rcblanke, the patch from The Patches Scrolls worked a treat, it just replaced the main executable and everything else worked, sound, music and in 16MB, now I just need to learn the actions, your a boss, cheers.

HI!

I too am trying to play this game with dosbox with pretty much the exact issue u had (except my version seems to be 1.00 because the cd is labeled PRAGEIV100). I downloaded the patch from patch scrolls and i unzipped it into my e:/dosbox (your c:/oldgames) but im not sure what you did after that to get it too work, when i run that exe i get a cannot find RM.DRV.

Some things ive tried:
Placing all cd files into my /dosbox folder
-removing Mr.DRV file from a folder and placing it in root of my /dosbox (this removed the initial error while running prage patch exe and changed it to cannot find INDEX)
-removed all files from subfolders and placed in my /dosbox root ( the prage patch exe now just shows a black screen)

Ive now removed everything from my e:/dosbox and just have the patch in it

any help would be very appreciated! 😀

Reply 7 of 7, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That patch won't work with v1.0, only 1.22 - I have v1.0 CD-ROM. The patch is not needed however as 16MB version runs perfectly in DOSBOX 0.74 with joypad, music & sound (I had installed this in XP then just copied the whole directory to a flash drive and now play it in Win 7). That said, what is the difference between v1.0 & 1.22?