VOGONS

First post, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found the cd with this game in my old garbage...
Installed, worked (yeah, the mind and body points are restoring with the time! 15 years ago I don't know this and call this game "unplayable" 😀 ).
The only trouble is - all of the movies in-game have 3 black lines. Not critical but very annoying.
I don't have my DOS PC anymore (rest in peace, the old and honored Pentium), so I can't tell the source of this - DosBox or the cd itself.
Any Ideas?

P.S. DosBos 0.74, P4 3.00E/Radeon X850 PE Agp/Windows Xp Pro Sp3.
With the Ykhwong's build the lines are still here...

Attachments

• Druid.JPG
    Filename
    Druid.JPG
    File size
    19.32 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 4, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

According to wd, this is a known issue caused by the use of segment limits, a CPU/paging mechanism the DOSBox devs have decided not to emulate for performance reasons. This case is a relatively minor glitch compared to a few others caused by segment limits.

Reply 3 of 4, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tnx for the info.
Yes, no lines in the VirtualPC+MSDOS 6.22 setup...
Oh, well...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 4 of 4, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This issue was brought up in the DOSBox-X issue tracker and I have an analysis of what is causing the black lines.

The game is not using any segment limit or page fault tricks. Instead when copying scanline by scanline to video memory it seems to rely on a quirk with SVGA bank switching where the 128KB VGA memory area 0xA0000-0xBFFFF allows you to write to 0xA0000-0xAFFFF (the 64KB bank you switched to) and to 0xB0000-0xBFFFF (the next 64KB bank). If you don't emulate that, then the remainder of the scanline going past the 0xA0000 bank is lost and therefore black lines.

https://github.com/joncampbell123/dosbox-x/issues/4384

DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.