VOGONS

First post, by VisitntX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a problem with this game, I've tried both the latest official version (0.74), and the latest SVN and is always the same problem, after the title screen, the game gives me the following error:
"Keyboard error. Please check your keyboard, Then load the game again"

PS: I could play it without problem with my (now dead) old 486 machine with DOS.

Reply 3 of 19, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It's indeed strange that the developers of the game felt the need to mess around with the keyboard hardware in unusual ways... never heard of any other DOS game that does this.

Anyway, here is a Win32 build of 0.74 with the patch applied. The game seems to work fine with it using default settings.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox074_fatman.7z
    File size
    898.13 KiB
    Downloads
    296 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 19, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ripsaw8080 wrote:

It's indeed strange that the developers of the game felt the need to mess around with the keyboard hardware in unusual ways... never heard of any other DOS game that does this.

One possible reason for it is that the mapping might result in a key cluster that is more convenient for certain regional keyboards.
It seems a shame to add so much code to DOSBox for just one game.

Reply 8 of 19, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ripsaw8080 wrote:

There's a patch on SourceForge, but I don't know much about the issue or the patch. (link)

there's also a bug in it - the letter 'g' can't be typed for high score names.
"case KBD_g:ret=0x15;break;"
should be
"case KBD_g:ret=0x34;break;"

also, what is the effect of the IRQ7 fix?

Reply 9 of 19, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does this have any effect on the sound? I can't seem to get sound running, and I wasn't sure if this keyboard fix had anything to do with that. I ask due to the fact there is mention of IRQ7 here, which is what my SB settings are at.

Reply 12 of 19, by VisitntX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I remember correctly, with the build that did ripsaw, I could win this game without problems related with sounds or music.

EDIT: I just try this game (again) and as I had said, in the dobox compiled by ripsaw, music and sounds works perfectly, the problem is in the fix made by ​​peterferrie.

Reply 13 of 19, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the "fix" in the compiled DOSBox contains its own bugs, as I noted.
in particular, the sound fix isn't unsafe because it leaves IRQ 7 active forever, even if no SoundBlaster is present there, which might lead to all kinds of compatibility issues with other progams.

it's not that I introduced a bug, it's that I didn't try to fix one.

Reply 14 of 19, by VisitntX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I hope you can fix the problem related with the sounds and music in this game, meanwhile, we will have to continue using the specially compiled dosbox to run this game (and use this build just for this game only)

Reply 15 of 19, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The DOSBox build was intended for Fatman only, in case that wasn't clear, because no other game messes with the keyboard as it does. The SB "fix" is a bonus; but again, only for Fatman.

The game specifically masks the SB interrupt on the PIC, which wouldn't be a problem if it later unmasked at some point. Lacking an interrupt causes the sound effects to stop working, and it also causes the music to stop after the first block is finished. If something is preventing the game from unmasking, I'd be interested to know what that is.

Reply 17 of 19, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think that I've finally figured out the problem with the sound (and fixed it, too). The game never explicitly enables the IRQ for the sound card, probably assuming that the sound driver would do that first.
If someone would like to play the game and see if it works, that would be nice. I've had enough of fighting with it, I don't want to try it myself. ;-)

Attachments

• Filename
    fatmanfx.zip
    File size
    5.75 KiB
    Downloads
    121 downloads
    File comment
    now with sound
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 19 of 19, by Eddie@time

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A plain Noob question : Making a web search I find this game and similar are AMIGA games designed to run on Amiga systems with their own Amiga OS. So the exe of the games that existed for Amiga OS ..were they DOS compatible too? Who makes the DOS exes and where to seek? I read an article about Amiga systems emulating PC by using a side car , but none emulating an Amiga on other environment except recently..

So obviously the ADF files that imaged AMIGA Disks, even if they are transfered to a floppy would not work under Windows. Is that right?