VOGONS

using dosbox for old dos program, not a game

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by rumendoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a old dos program that I use for work. I have used dosbox with my old laptop windows XP program. The program has worked great, but my old laptop is starting to crash. SO.... I bought a new one with windows7, 64 bit lenovo, 6 gb ram. I installed the dosbox .74 and mounted my program in dosbox and it crashed as soon as I started the program. I tried using the different outputs and nothing really changed. I tried installing a virtual computer with windows XP and then running dosbox through the virtual computer with no avail.. The program will run in the virtual computer, but when I try to print or save the program it will crash, but in dosbox it crashed when i first open the program. by the way, in the virtual computer in dos, the program acts just like it did in my old laptop, but in dosbox it does not. I looked at all my old setting and set all the configuration in the new computer as the old, still no success. Is there anything else that you would suggest? I'm a newbie and not that adapt to computers, so please use layman's terms that I can understand.

Thanks for any help!

Reply 6 of 20, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/detai … lang=en&id=3243.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 7 of 20, by rumendoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

what doesn't make any sense is that it will run until I try to save or print in dos in the virtual computer and doesn't even open up in dosbox in the virtual computer. Is dos running in windows 7 or is it running in the VPC, it's acting like it's in windows 7?

Reply 12 of 20, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rumendoc wrote:

I have a old dos program that I use for work. I have used dosbox with my old laptop windows XP program. The program has worked great, but my old laptop is starting to crash. SO.... I bought a new one with windows7, 64 bit lenovo, 6 gb ram. I installed the dosbox .74 and mounted my program in dosbox and it crashed as soon as I started the program. I tried using the different outputs and nothing really changed. I tried installing a virtual computer with windows XP and then running dosbox through the virtual computer with no avail.. The program will run in the virtual computer, but when I try to print or save the program it will crash, but in dosbox it crashed when i first open the program. by the way, in the virtual computer in dos, the program acts just like it did in my old laptop, but in dosbox it does not. I looked at all my old setting and set all the configuration in the new computer as the old, still no success. Is there anything else that you would suggest? I'm a newbie and not that adapt to computers, so please use layman's terms that I can understand.

Your post is extremely confusing. Let's be clear here: DOSBox is entirely separate from Windows. Did you actually download and install DOSBox from http://www.dosbox.com on your old laptop that was running XP? If you did not, you were not running DOSBox; you were using XP's internal "DOS machine", more accurately known as the NTVDM.

If you were running a program in XP's NTVDM on your old computer, it should run exactly the same in the NTVDM in XP in a virtual computer, without having to download and install DOSBox. Check your settings again.

Also, what version of Windows 7 are you running? Is it Home Premium, Pro, or Ultimate?

DOSBox is not suited to run non-gaming applications.

Reply 13 of 20, by rumendoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes,, I downloaded DosBox from dosbox.com on my old laptop and on my new laptop. And if you run this program on dos on the old or new computer it does the same thing, crashes the program not dosbox when you try to save or print from the program. So yes you're right when I run the program in dos in the virtual computer, acts just like the old computer.

Now, in the new computer in dosbox it does the same in the virtual computer as in the windows 7 version crashes dosbox as soon as you open the program.

I'm running windows 7 pro.

And in DosBox this program runs great in the old computer.

Reply 14 of 20, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You've said you're using DOSBox 0.74 on a new system, but I don't see any mention of what version you were using on the old system. If it was a prior version then you could try using that on the new system. Also, even with identical settings between versions, changes in the memory start address can cause problems in susceptible DOS programs, and the remedy for that is LOADFIX. You can try different allocation amount (e.g. "loadfix -10" or "loadfix -20") before running your DOS application in DOSBox.

Reply 15 of 20, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rumendoc wrote:

I have used dosbox with my old laptop windows XP program. The program has worked great

rumendoc wrote:

And if you run this program on dos on the old or new computer it does the same thing, crashes the program not dosbox when you try to save or print from the program.
And in DosBox this program runs great in the old computer.

This is not getting less confusing. Was it working great or was it crashing?

So yes you're right when I run the program in dos in the virtual computer, acts just like the old computer.

But you weren't running the program in DOS – you said you were running it in DOSBox! Which is it? There's a huge difference!

Just in case, let's be clear on something else: when you say you're running the program in DOSBox, that means you're launching DOSBox from the start menu and using Mount commands, right?

Reply 16 of 20, by rumendoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry that I haven't made this clearer, let me try it this way

Old laptop with windows XP version: When I run the program in dos, the program will run but crashes when I either try to save or try to print from the program. When I MOUNT the program in DosBox, the program runs great no problems

New laptop with Windows7 version: When I run the program in dos an error appears saying this program cannot run in 64 bit computers. When I MOUNT the program in DosBox, and then run the program, it crashes DosBox. Now...., when I switch to the windowsXP virtual computer and run the program in Dos, the program will run but crashes when I either try to save it or print from the program. When I MOUNT the program in DosBox, the program will crash DosBox.

I use 0.73MB5 on the old laptop. I've tried both version on the new computer with no luck. I changed the configurations to match the old computer, with no help.

I'll try the loadfix, thanks.

I hope this makes it clearer then mud.

Reply 18 of 20, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay then, now it makes somewhat more sense.

rumendoc wrote:

I use 0.73MB5 on the old laptop. I've tried both version on the new computer with no luck. I changed the configurations to match the old computer, with no help.

There is something different somewhere, as the same version of DOSBox with the same configuration should run the same on two different machines, even if one is XP and one is Windows 7. Are you using the same MOUNT commands and everything?

You might want to try running DOSBox (0.73MB5) on your Windows 7 machine as an administrator. (You can do that by holding down Shift and right-clicking on the DOSBox shortcut.) Please be very careful when you do this, however, as it can possibly harm your computer – you might want to do a backup first.

If you want to try Loadfix, just type it in exactly as ripsaw8080 suggests in DOSBox before you run your program. It is an internal DOSBox command.

Reply 19 of 20, by rumendoc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks folks. I got it to work in windows 7. I used the the 0.73 version with a MB5 patch. It works just like my old computer. I tried everything except the mb5 patch, i don't know what it does different, but it's a GREAT FIX!!!!!!!!!.

Thanks again!

by the way loadfix did not work.