VOGONS

First post, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For those of you who have the very first Lemmings in DOS form on CD (not the later Win95 version of Lemmings), you'll probably find that you will not have any luck installing the game directly off CD (regardless of what you do, the installer will not acknowledge that the CD is in the drive), and that simply copying the LEMMINGS folder from the CD and running from that will ensure that you have nothing in the way of music, even when DOSBox's CPU cycles are set correctly.

I believe the installer modifies the VGALEMMI.EXE in some way to tell the game where to find the music files, as Adlib sound effects seem to work fine.

So, with a bit of help courtesy of a certain abandonware site and a bit of trial and error I've managed to isolate the two problematic files - VGALEMMI.EXE and RUSSELL.DAT. It is my belief that the use and publication of these two files constitutes fair use.

Now, if you want to play your legal copy of Lemmings without resorting to an abandonware version, download this patch, copy the LEMMINGS directory on the CD to wherever on your hard drive, and copy the two files from the archive into that directory, overwriting the originals.

Attachments

• Filename
    lemmings_cd_fix.zip
    File size
    31.38 KiB
    Downloads
    536 downloads
    File comment
    Lemmings CD Fix
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.2GHz per core
16GB RAM DDR4
AMD RX 580
6TB hard drive over three hard drives
Windows 10 Pro

Reply 2 of 8, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Curious - what's the difference between Lemmings for DOS on floppy and the DOS CD version you have? A quick google turned up nothing. I have the 5.25 floppy version and I do recall RUSSELL.DAT being reponsible for its copy protection - I believe there was either a crack or docs to hex edit RUSSELL.DAT so it could be played without having the floppy in the drive.

Are there more levels on the CD version?

Reply 3 of 8, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The CD version has CD audio, and includes both Lemmings and Oh No More Lemmings. So there are more levels compared to lemmings by itself, but it should be equivalent to having both. The CD should have 24 audio tracks on it. An actual CD or CD image that includes audio plays music just fine.

My guess here is the original poster is using an ISO image, rather than a BIN/CUE that includes the audio tracks, which would explain their lack of music. His post should probably be edited to purge the unnecessary, abandonware files he posted.

Reply 4 of 8, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The CD version has CD audio, and includes both Lemmings and Oh No More Lemmings. So there are more levels compared to lemmings by itself, but it should be equivalent to having both. The CD should have 24 audio tracks on it. An actual CD or CD image that includes audio plays music just fine.

My guess here is the original poster is using an ISO image, rather than a BIN/CUE that includes the audio tracks, which would explain their lack of music. His post should probably be edited to purge the unnecessary, abandonware files he posted.

Wrong. I'm using the "Neon Edition" Lemmings trilogy collection, with Lemmings 1 and 2 on one CD and All New World of Lemmings on the second CD. See the photo for what I mean. I can assure you there are no Red Book audio tracks on the first CD, nor does it contain Oh No More Lemmings. The second CD - the one with All New World of Lemmings on it - does contain the requisite audio tracks for that game.

So I suggest you fucking ask me because you start throwing around accusations next time.

Attachments

• Filename
    IMAG0092.jpg
    File size
    182.36 KiB
    Downloads
    219 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

16GB RAM DDR4
AMD RX 580
Windows 10 Pro

Reply 5 of 8, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Please excuse me.

Per the "Lem.net" site...
http://lemnet.tripod.com/english-chronicles/i … /packaging.html
http://lemnet.tripod.com/english-chronicles/i … mpil/index.html
...there are at least 7 MS-DOS CD versions of Lemmings:
Lemmings on CD-ROM : ? : Psygnosis
Lemmings and Oh No! More Lemmings - Twice the Value, Twice the Fun : 1992 : Psygnosis
Lemmings and Oh No! More Lemmings CD-ROM : 1995,1996 : Aztech New Media Corp
Lemmings 1-3 Neon Edition Compilation : 1995 : CDV Software
"There are at least 3 other, "no frills", packaging-less CD's available with only these two games."

Since that site hasn't been updated since 2001, there are likely a few more today. Since you made no reference to your specific version, I presumed it was the "Lemmings and Oh No! More Lemmings" Psygnosis version. Both early Psygnosis versions work without issue in DOSBox (both the installation, and music). It would have helped if you were more specific that your issue effected the "Neon Edition".

I'm guessing the "Neon Edition" copy you have is the same as the original Psygnosis CD-ROM version but lacking the CD audio tracks so there is no music, making it a somewhat poor copy. You might want to try making a personal bin/cue copy and adding in some arbitrary CD tracks to test that. In any case, I'm not sure having bought a broken copy of the game allows for the violation of copyright by posting the files you did here.

And please watch your language.

Reply 7 of 8, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Apology accepted, and my apologies for the language.

I'll see if I can pick up the audio tracks somewhere.

16GB RAM DDR4
AMD RX 580
Windows 10 Pro

Reply 8 of 8, by vogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'm interested in Lemmings CD audio and wanted to let everyone know there are 2 different types of CDs that contain both data/audio.

Depending, the data or audio may not be visible in Windows Explorer (because Windows just reports the audio tracks or the data tracks, not both).