VOGONS

First post, by jlnewhook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I have an original 2 disk copy of "The 7th Guest" that I can run normally through DOSBox as long as the disks are in the CDRom drive. However, since the disks are not copy protected, what I wanted to do was copy the files off of the two disks into a SINGLE folder on my C drive and tell DOSBox to boot from there, mounting the same folder as both the C and D drives so that I can run the game without actually needing to put the disks in the drives.

I tried to just copy/paste them into the same folder, but there are some files with the same names and different data sizes between the two disks. During the copy/paste, I opted to keep the larger of any duplicate files and overwrite the lesser at first. I also tried keeping both with different names on a second attempt. Both ended up at the problem below.

Now, here is the problem: The game starts up just fine, but I can't get past the "Insert Disk 1" intro screen! Even though the D drive is mounted to the folder on my C drive where all the files from both game disks are kept, it still won't run without the disk in the actual D Drive (cdrom drive).

I am using DOSBox 0.74. Here are my PC laptop specs:

Toshiba Satellite L755D
Processor: AMD A6-3400M APU with RADEON HD Graphics 1.40GHz
RAM: 4GB
64 Bit Operating System.

There has got to be a way to combine the files from the 2 disks into one file which I can boot from without needing the physical disks. If anyone knows how to do this, please help me.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 14, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Create ISOs of both CDs, and imagemount those in one command inside DOSBox (instead of mounting just a single CD). Take a look at the readme for details.

Reply 5 of 14, by Glitchologteam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

to have a cue/bin image of your CD

1. Get a program that can do that (I use PowerISO, it is not free but if I remember well it give 30 days of trial)

2. There is an icon that say copy disk, click on it and select bin. Power ISO will make a image of the CD that contain a bin and a cue file of it.

How to imgmount the image on dosbox

Here I will give you an example of what I do to run one of my favorite game, Quake. Both the Quake installed folder and the cd image are in a folder called ''test'', on C:

1. Mount c c:\test
It will say that the folder is mounted as C:

2. Imgmount d c:\Quake.cue -fs iso -t iso
It will say MSCDEX installed.
It will also say that the image is mounted as D:

Then , It should work. Since I don't know the game you want to play, im not sure if you need to swap CD during gameplay or only for installation. What I wrote will apply if you only need one CD during gameplay

Reply 8 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't understand why ImgBurn isn't the first thing mentioned in threads like these; it is ideal. And free.

The second-best alternative is ISO Buster, which has some obscure features disabled in the free version.

Reply 9 of 14, by jlnewhook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, so after a long period of not having the time to attempt this project, (work sucks), I am back at it. I downloaded ImgBurn and made the bin/cue images, now I just need someone to let me know what the easiest method to switch between the two disk images in the middle of the game is. Is there a command sequence I can put in the conf file, or will it require playing to the end of disk one, saving, closing and mounting disk two, and restarting?

Thanks for all your help.

Reply 10 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Imgmount both images to the same letter (imgmount d img1 img2 (specifics in the readme) and switch with ctrl+f4 if I'm not mistsken.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 14, by jlnewhook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK I tried everything above, and I still get stuck at Please Insert Disc One.

Here is what I have done. My file structure is like this:

C:\OLDGAMES\T7G

...is the path to the folder where everything for the game is. Inside are all the files copied during installation, as well as these four files:

T7G_disk1.bin
T7G_disk1.cue
T7G_disk2.bin
T7G_disk2.cue

I use a desktop shortcut with a custom conf file to boot the game. Here is the autoexecutable commands from that file:

MOUNT C C:\OLDGAMES\T7G\

IMGMOUNT D [C:\OLDGAMES\T7G\T7G_Disk1.bin C:\OLDGAMES\T7G\T7G_Disk1.cue C:\OLDGAMES\T7G\T7G_Disk2.bin C:\OLDGAMES\T7G\T7G_Disk2.cue] -t cdrom -fs iso

C:
D:

T7G.BAT

The game starts up like this, and then I get the insert disk one screen. CTRL-F4 does not let me get past this screen. Anyone know what I am doing incorrectly?

Thanks.

Reply 12 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You don't need the square brackets. (I can barely recall any DOS command that actually required the use of square brackets, which is why they are usually used as placeholders in examples.) You also don't need to specify both the .bin and the .cue file; that would be redundant.

IMGMOUNT D C:\OLDGAMES\T7G\T7G_Disk1.cue C:\OLDGAMES\T7G\T7G_Disk2.cue -t cdrom -fs iso

Reply 13 of 14, by jlnewhook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I copied the IMGMOUNT command Jorpho supplied in place of my original one, and after figuring out why it still wouldn't work, I realized I should not be switching from C to D before initializing the T7G.BAT file. With those two fixes - now everything works!

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Reply 14 of 14, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunately I am late to the party, but I was going to mention that the ScummVM interpreter plays 7th guest perfectly well and just requires the data files copied off the discs. I then ripped the audio files to flac and put them in the same directory and you then have full audio.

Specifically, ScummVM requires the following files:

*.gjd
*.grv
*.rl
fat.*
sphinx.fnt

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles#7th_Guest.2C_The

No bin/cue, mounting, or otherwise images required.