VOGONS

First post, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Upon launching Eye of the Storm (tried 0.74 and latest svn) the opening cinematics begin to jump every other frame.

Frame 1 will be centered perfectly
Frame 2 jumps to the left
Frame 3 centers perfectly
Frame 4 jumps the the left

The machine type is set to svga_s3, however I have also tried vga_only and got the same results.

Suggestions welcome! Thanks.

Reply 1 of 15, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Works fine with machine=vgaonly, using 320x200x256 graphics by default. If you in fact used "vga_only" as the machine type it would be unrecognized and fall back to the default of "svga_s3", explaining why it made no difference for you.

Seems to work in 640x400x256 with machine=svga_paradise; the game has a driver specifically for Paradise SVGA.

There appears to be some issue with page flipping/windowing in VESA mode 0x100 (640x400x256), and so far I've found no way to avoid it with any machine type or VESA driver, so for now I suggest machine=svga_paradise for higher-res graphics.

BTW, in order to get sound fully working in the game you need to set the SOUND environment variable so an appropriate CT-VOICE.DRV sound driver can be found. For example, if you "SET SOUND=C:\EOS" then there should a DRV subdir under the EOS dir that contains the CT-VOICE.DRV file. With an SVN build you can use a CT-VOICE.DRV for SB16, but in 0.74 you'll need to use a driver for a different SB model, and change the sbtype= setting to match. The game also needs xms=true for sound to work, which is the default setting, but I mention it just in case.

Reply 2 of 15, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

switching it to svga_paradise fixed it! Thanks as usual.

Glad you mentioned the sound situation, however I am having trouble with it.

I have the "sound set=c:\eyestorm" variable defined, and I placed a
CT-VOICE.DRV in a folder called DRV. I also launched it using the SVN version. I hear a pop as though the speakers are trying to initialize, but nothing in the game.

Reply 3 of 15, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It should be "set sound=c:\eyestorm", not "sound set=c:\eyestorm"; and make sure the DRV folder containing the driver is under the EYESTORM folder.

The CT-VOICE.DRV sound drivers are specific to a particular model of SB and won't work with others (based on DSP version), so you have to set the sbtype= setting in DOSBox to match the driver. For example, if the driver you are using is for SBPro2, you have to set sbtype=sbpro2 in the settings. NB: the SB16 versions of the driver work in SVN, but do not work in 0.74 or earlier.

The driver here (inside the self-extracting archive) is known to work with sbtype=sbpro2.

Last edited by ripsaw8080 on 2012-07-10, 22:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 15, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had the set sound right - just typed it backwards here.

I guess the intro movie and menus have no sound? I get sound during gameplay, but not before.

Reply 5 of 15, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There is sound in the intro, and if you don't hear the sound in the intro then there are sounds in gameplay you are not hearing. You have to get the driver set up correctly for sound to be fully working.

Reply 6 of 15, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, so I have this in my autoexec portion of the conf:

mount c .\games\
c:
set sound=c:\eyestorm
cd eyestorm
cls
call eos

and this for sound up above:

[sblaster]
sbtype=sbpro2
sbbase=220
irq=5
dma=1
hdma=5
sbmixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplemu=default
oplrate=44100

I then have a folder called:
.\games\eyestorm\DRV that has the contends of the file you attached extracted to it, including CT-VOICE.DRV

I have also tried 0.74 and the SVN version.

Where have I messed up?

Reply 7 of 15, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The only thing I see that would prevent it from working is having xms=false. It works for me in 0.74 and SVN using the driver and settings mentioned. If XMS is not your problem, I suggest starting over from default settings and changing only the ones that need to be changed.

Reply 8 of 15, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, so my copy of EOS is on a cd with a few other Prism games.

The root of the cd just has a go.exe file, which then appears to try and play the game directly off the cd.

Manually switching to the d:\prism\eye folder reveals an install.bat file which will create c:\eos and copy the game files to it.... however, it tries to find an eos.bat file that does not exist. Instead there is a cdgo.bat file that appears to have the same contents.

The contents are:

@echo off
esd1 %1 %2 %3 %4 %5
eos1 %1 %2 %3 %4 %5

Currently my conf settings are :

mount c .\games\eyestorm
imgmount d .\games\eyestorm\cd\eos.cue -t cdrom
c:
set sound=c:\eos

The game exists at .\games\eyestorm\eos\
and there is the drv folder in there as well with the sbpro2 files previously attached.

I tried another copy) of the game as well (not from my original cd)... and got the same result.

Reply 9 of 15, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The CD version is basically the same as the floppy version, and the sound works just as well for me with it. I don't know why it would work for me and not for you; possibly some oversight or misunderstanding. Another thing you can do is use a debug build of DOSBox to see if the game is opening the CT-VOICE.DRV file and initializing the SB, those things should appear in the log messages.

Reply 11 of 15, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The problem is with the referenced ct-voice.drv, it does not seem to work (here) in this game with sbtype=sbpro2. I used the DRV files referenced here which do seem to work in this case (for me).

Reply 12 of 15, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Oops, I got the filenames mixed up, should be SBP2DU.EXE at the same repository instead of SB20DU.EXE; I corrected the link in my earlier post.

The driver I linked to by mistake works with a setting of sbtype=sb2 😉

Last edited by ripsaw8080 on 2012-07-10, 22:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 15, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ripsaw8080,

Can you be more specific regarding the Paradise SVGA mode?

Using svga_paradise does correct the background flickering seen with svga_s3, but when I try to select the Paradise mode in the graphics setup menu I get an error...
"Insufficient memory for selected mode"
...so I've been stuck with 320x400 mode since I got the game. Such occurs for me both with a recent SVN (i.e. r3738) and with ykhwong's most recent build.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 15 of 15, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The main game executable (EOS1.EXE) needs the full 128 kB of upper memory linked into the DOS memory chain in order to use SVGA resolution, so you have to disable EMS (i.e. xms=true, ems=false, umb=true). The intro executable (ESD1.EXE) is a smaller program and doesn't need upper memory for the higher resolution.