VOGONS

First post, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good day everyone.

I am trying to get a very old title by the name of FaceMaker by Spinnaker software running.

On launch I get the error, 'Reboot Requested, Quitting Now"

Searching this error it seems that it is calling something, not finding it, and causing the system to restart.

Here is what I have tried thus far:
core - normal, simple, auto
cputype - 386, 386_prefetch
cycles - lowered to 500
machine - cga, tandy, vga_only
xms/ems/umb - all true, all false

I have also tried 0.74 and the latest SVN

I also launched the game using the dosbox debugger, however I did not see anything that stood out to me in the remarks. I probably don't know how to read them very well. I ran a log on the first few thousand cycles, however a logcpu.txt file never generates itself in the dosbox folder like the documentation suggests should happen.

Suggestions welcome =)

Reply 1 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you have this game as a disk image? It could be that it is only supposed to run if the disk is booted (i.e. with the DOSBox BOOT command).

exofreeze wrote:

I also launched the game using the dosbox debugger, however I did not see anything that stood out to me in the remarks. I probably don't know how to read them very well.

I find that the bottom part of the window, which lists file system accesses, can be pretty straightforward.

Reply 2 of 9, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The fact I never actually get a logcpu.txt dump makes it difficult to really analyze it, however what I do get is:
BIOS: Disk 0 not active
INT10:Set Video Mode 0
INT10:Set Video Mode 0
VGA:Blinking 32

Reboot Requested, quitting now.

Seems somewhat similar to an error you had previously in your thread on Knight Force. I never saw a resolution there.

Reply 3 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My question was whether you have this game as a disk image. If you just downloaded a .zip containing the individual files it may not be possible to get this game to run. (This is why there is generally little support on this forum for software that isn't being installed or run from its original disks.)

I wrote some instructions in this thread about how to put a game's files on a bootable floppy; the same technique may work in this case. However, if the original disk used some kind of complex copy protection scheme, possibly encoded in the floppy's boot sector one way or another, then the original floppy or an image thereof is needed.

Alternatively, the Apple II or Atari version of this game ought to run perfectly well in the appropriate emulator.

Reply 4 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It tries to read a sector on the A: drive and reboots the system if the read fails. Mounting a floppy image on A: seems to make the game happy, it runs; but it's possible that the sector contents are somehow important. It may be using the sector for saving and restoring game data, so if you're going to test if the game is fully working, I suggest using a completely empty image.

Reply 5 of 9, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had an img of the disk but I never bothered with it as mounting it just shows complete garbage.

However, mounting it and using this extracted runtime file allowed the game to run fine.

Thanks guys.

Reply 6 of 9, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just tried myself as well - I was beaten to the punch, but yes, it runs just fine from a floppy image. BTW, machine=tandy will get you some music, but otherwise machine=cga seems to work exactly the same.

I have memories of this game from a very young age - kids are easily amused, aren't they...

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 7 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
exofreeze wrote:

I had an img of the disk but I never bothered with it as mounting it just shows complete garbage.

Some of these booter games did not use a standard MS-DOS filesystem. Even if it looks like garbage, the disk might still be booted if you use the BOOT command. (Note that the BOOT command does not require the image file to be mounted first.)

Reply 8 of 9, by iris_colt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
exofreeze wrote:

I ran a log on the first few thousand cycles, however a logcpu.txt file never generates itself in the dosbox folder like the documentation suggests should happen.

Suggestions welcome =)

Sorry to resurrect this thread... You had a permissions problem. The DOSBox executable cannot write the file LOGCPU.txt in the folder C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.74\

Fix it by allowing permissions or copying the folder and its contents to another location.