VOGONS

First post, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What I have here is a rather minor problem, but still it is rather bugging me that I can't fix it.

I have an original Ultimate Body Blows CD here. It has several RedBook audio tracks and around 5MB of data. I can run the game fine, but in spite of various CPU type settings and trying to create a BIN/CUE of the CD, every time I play the game, the CD audio for the title screen hangs and keeps repeating itself. This is the same whether I use the original CD in the drive or the BIN/CUE image I created from it.

I can play the same soundtrack fine in Windows Media Player, and the same tune is used in one of the game's levels, so it's not a problem with the CD. I've tried using various SVN builds (including the 23rd August 2012 DaumCafe build) and the official 0.74 build. I've tried forcing cputype=386 and cputype=486_slow, reducing and increasing CPU cycles and memory, switching between Gravis Ultrasound and Soundtracker, none of which makes any difference.

Anyone perhaps have an idea?

Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.2GHz per core
16GB RAM DDR4
AMD RX 580
6TB hard drive over three hard drives
Windows 10 Pro

Reply 1 of 2, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The game repeatedly sends a "play audio" command for the same track, and it appears that playing should not be restarted when the device is busy playing audio. I don't know if that would be due to just the busy status or if there would be some recognition that it's the *same* track in the play command. Games usually send a stop command before sending a play command, so the behavior I'm theorizing about seems plausible, but it should be checked on real DOS systems with real MSCDEX.

The attached workaround program will cause "play audio" commands to do nothing but report status if the cdrom device is busy playing audio. It appears to solve the problem, with audio tracks looping or new tracks starting as seems appropriate.

Attachments

• Filename
    UBBFIX.ZIP
    File size
    801 Bytes
    Downloads
    213 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 2, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My apologies - I forgot to say that the patch works beautifully, I've created a batch file with it, thank you so much 😀

I doubt the same problem exists on a real PC though. I suspect that a real DOS system with real MSCDEX would do what your patch does - if there is already a track playing, it will ignore any further calls to play a redbook track until the previous one has been stopped.

Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.2GHz per core
16GB RAM DDR4
AMD RX 580
6TB hard drive over three hard drives
Windows 10 Pro