VOGONS

Chasm: The Rift - runtime error

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mounted/installed Chasm from bin/cue image into 0.74.

Game installed fine, however on launch I get the following:

Runtime error 200 at 0002:1524

Running w/ debug did not give any obvious clues for me.

Seems others have had this issue, although a fix was not posted at the time. Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 1 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Runtime error 200 is "divide by zero". Parts of CTR are written in Turbo Pascal, and there is a potential for error 200 on fast systems. Search vogons for TPPATCH for a possible fix.

There are updates and addons for CTR available from the developer's site through archive.org:
Patches for Chasm: The Rift?

Reply 2 of 6, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried (separately):
tppatch
ctpatch

I ran them on chasm.exe, ps10.exe, and rtm.exe. (chasm.exe seems to simply call ps10.exe)

ctpatch (on a fresh copy) told me that the file was already patched, but tried anyways. In both cases, i get the exact same error message as before.

I then applied the 1.04 patch as linked, and still got the error. I then tried running the tppatch on the new ps10.exe extracted from the patch.

In all cases, I continually get the same runtime error.

Reply 3 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The last version is contained in the csmtcpip.exe package.

I don't have any problem with the game, and I know others have gotten it to work. Try experimenting with different amounts of fixed cycles, and try a different sound config or no sound. If nothing works then your copy may be flawed.

There is an issue with cdaudio tracks not looping, particularly when using an image. There's a fix for that here.

Reply 4 of 6, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have tried my own version of chasm, and a downloaded copy at this point.

I have also tried the original files, the 1.04 files, and the files from the csmtcpip.exe package.

I have also now tried the SVN version as well.

I then tried fixed cycles, in the following order:
2,000:
Chasm
Chasm after applying tppatch
Chasm 1.04
Chasm 1.04 after applying tppatch
Chasm update from csmtcpip
Chasm update from csmtcpip after applying tppatch

5,000:
same

10k:
same

20k:
same

50k:
same

I have attempted the above steps on 2 copies of the game.

In the end, what I found to work was changing the core to simple. This is not notated in any of the threads I have found on the game however, and it simply will not run otherwise.

Reply 5 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Simple core... no difference with normal core? Never had a problem with the game on default settings, and that means dynamic core and max cycles. I think the high resolution video option in the game is going to be much smoother on dynamic core. Maybe post your conf with all the commands you're using in the [autoexec] section to see if the problem can be reproduced by others.

Reply 6 of 6, by CodeJunkie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

Simple core... no difference with normal core? Never had a problem with the game on default settings, and that means dynamic core and max cycles. I think the high resolution video option in the game is going to be much smoother on dynamic core. Maybe post your conf with all the commands you're using in the [autoexec] section to see if the problem can be reproduced by others.

Setting the core to "simple" did the trick for me. The strange thing is that the game runs fine on one of my computers that just has a 3.33ghz Core 2 Duo. The machine it would just not run on unless the core was changed is an i7 4790k.

Classic Gaming Arena
Home for all your DOS multiplayer gaming needs.