VOGONS

Glide 3Dfx and D3D emulation in DOSBox

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by DosWin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some times ago, I try install Windows 98SE in DOSBox. I use SVN Daum 1 Jule 2012 version for it. Install was simple and without special problems.

After it, I install drivers for 3Dfx, D3D and OpenGL use vg-w9x-q3.exe from here - (Guide) How to Install Win98se with 3dfx driver in Dosbox

Drivers dont view in System, but games run 3Dfx versions without ask Glidenx.dll and same files for running after installation.

3Dfx works, but, from not full emulation I think, have possible graphic bugs and dont proceed 2D graphics. D3D in games dont work, because ask D3D card\Hardware or works very slow (very small FPS).

Some game examples:
Uprising
direct3d:
173308505cbc5c159fe.png173308505cbc5c1745a.png

OpenGL:
173308505cbc7c0a9ed.png173308505cbc7c0b85f.png

Half-Life(1.0 US)
direct3d:
173308505cbc2ae739a.png173308505cbd9d68b4a.png

OpenGL:
173308505cbc2ae8b97.png173308505cbc2ae9b88.png
(light bug, if running from start. Switch to Software and back to OpenGL light bug dont be)

Hype: The Time Quest (running, but dont work)
direct3d:
173308505cbc434ae1e.png
OpenGL:
173308505cbc434bd63.png

Carmageddon 2
direct3d:
173308505cbc0a14506.png
OpenGL:
173308505cbc0a16699.png

Requiem
direct3d:
173308505cbc434cb31.png
OpenGL:
173308505cbc5c13c17.png

More screenshots - http://www.mediafire.com/?tgfg3jelj05zm55

Could be possible to fix 3Dfx and D3D emulation and speed in direct3d and\or OpenGL output modes?
Also interesting what dont emulates in 3Dfx for full emulation.

Reply 3 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

But he's RIGHT!
And why don't you read the topic about this patch? It answers your questions.
3dfx support is not in normal Dosbox, it is only a patch for now...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 17, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Currently only 10 win3dfx games (from 238 tested) are needing Win9x.
Andretti Racing, Asghan (install/config), Barrage (ctd), Cybergladiators (too fast), FIFA 2002 (ctd), Le Mans 24 Hours (ctd in several modes), Nascar 2000, Nascar Revolution, The Tainted (config), Time Warriors (install). And the work is in progress...
So - can't see the point to install Win98 inside dosbox. Just use the Xp + nGlide combo. Or DOSBox (with 3dfx patch) + nGlide for the DOS glide games.

Reply 6 of 17, by DosWin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Games, which need Win98 much, much more and its not 3Dfx\D3D only.

Also some games dont work on modern systems with patches even(example, Warhammer 40000: Chaos Gate, Mission Chameleon) or works very fast in VPC even(Hesperian Wars), or in general dont work(Detective Bogey). And I dont have possibilities for XP, and I rather install Win98, because some games dont work in XP normally(Cossacks). Plus some games have graphic bugs on modern systems(Hype: Time Quest on some Nvidia cards - dont sure about all line - part of the screen is black;Settlers 4).

If Win9x emulation would not have been needed, nobody would and did. But it is necessary. And if it possible, why not do full 3Dfx and D3D emulation? And dont say about what DB Daum is a patch and wait new version in main line of DOSBox - do something(and play) possible now. And DB Daum also valuable as DOSBox.

Reply 8 of 17, by DosWin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Want to say - "wait Win9x support and 3Dfx\D3D in official\main line DOSBox"? I think while wait possible do something and play in "not official" DB Daum - run Win98SE, Windows games, run\do and fix 3Dfx and D3D emulation.

Otherwise much easier than waiting new version of DOSBox - go to the DOSBox Team and make possible Win9x and 3Dfx and D3D emulation in <official> DOSBox.

Simply exchange opinions pointless.

Reply 9 of 17, by Glitchologteam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

having a true working virtual win9x computer would be a dream for me, since I have some games like PGA Tour Gold that do not work on anything I have (virtual pcs on vmware or virtualbox, windows seven, etc.)

Some game like Jet Moto, NBA Jam Extreme or Mortal Kombat 4 glitch alot, even with fan patch on modern system. People tell me to play the playstation version of the three game but that not a solution to me, If I bought it for pc, it is because I want to play it on pc

Microsoft Flight Simulator for Windows 95 has alot of bug when not run on windows 95.

The problem is specially games designed for windows 95.

Thought I doubt it will happen anytime soon, at least Windows 3.11 work well...

Reply 10 of 17, by VenoMpie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try and run Silver on anything else than an authentic Windows 98 box... The development guys at Dosbox should maybe start a second project? One that would emulate machines with hardware that the user can specific. e.g. a Windows 98 machine with 4mb S3 and 12mb Voodoo 2 graphics, etc.
Virtual PC sucks for this purpose (any virtualization software for that matter).
The Daum SVN for Dosbox is the best I've seen as it actually DOES something.

Reply 11 of 17, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VenoMpie wrote:

Try and run Silver on anything else than an authentic Windows 98 box... The development guys at Dosbox should maybe start a second project? One that would emulate machines with hardware that the user can specific. e.g. a Windows 98 machine with 4mb S3 and 12mb Voodoo 2 graphics, etc.
Virtual PC sucks for this purpose (any virtualization software for that matter).
The Daum SVN for Dosbox is the best I've seen as it actually DOES something.

Hell yeah! I'm pretty sure it can be done, though the reason why such a thing doesn't exist is probably because programs like DosBox and conventional VMs are easier to develop, and they also cater to a wider range of interests.

Reply 12 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PCem would have probably went in this direction had it had some dedicated experienced devs working on it. So far it emulates from a 5150 up to a AM5x86-133 with an s3 card. With some more assembly and love for SSE2 / OpenCL we'd see Pentium II w/ Voodoo2 happen 😀

It's somewhat of a "dream emulator" because you can specify the class, BIOS, CPU, even video bus speed, which is something I hadn't seen in other x86 emulators

apsosig.png
long live PCem