VOGONS

First post, by Lanaiguy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I need some help troubleshooting my sound problems for the DOS game Xwing. I am running it on my Dell PC in DOSBOX through Windows XP and cant get all the sound to come on. All I get is the soundtrak for the registration guy at the beginning, the shuttle departing trak in the station,my weps when I fire, and close encounters with tie fighters as they swing by. No Music, no explosions, no jump to light speed nothing else. I've tried just about everything I can think of but nojoy.
I have several other old dos games installed and they all play fine. So I know my hardware works, I just dont understand why if I can here some things but not everything. Is it a bad copy of xwing? Or is it a config problem? Im Stumped! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Lani

Reply 2 of 9, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you install the game using DosBox (using your original CD or floppies)? If so, are you using the same mountings? Is the machine (in X-Wing's setup) listed as fast (or something else) and you're giving it enough cycles (I use, for example, 30,000 with machine listed as fast there)? Are your digital sound (IRQ, DMA and Sound Blaster type are really, really important) and midi (the right port) set up properly in the game's install program?

Reply 3 of 9, by Lanaiguy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thankyou for the replie Bloodbat.
I installed the game from a free download off of the internet. It took me a some searching to find it though. I dont think I installed it Thru Dosbox.
Herer are the settings I used from basically trial and error They are in the dosbox config file.
sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=5
dma=1
hdma=7
sbmixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplemu=default
oplrate=44100
The ingame set up program ran at first but doesnt at start up anymore.
Im not sure about the midi set up here is all Ive been able to come up with from searching the internet.
mpu401=intelligent
mididevice=default
midiconfig=
Thanks

Reply 5 of 9, by Lanaiguy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got it from freegameempire or squaknet I tried abondonware but couldnt get there download to work. I actually have 2 copies of it and was going to try the other copy if i cant get this one to work. I';ll try reinstalling it through DOSBOX. Do you have any sugestions for my midi config? How do I determine what device to use.?
Thanks again.

Reply 6 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

there is no legal download of xwing. So there is no support here.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 9, by Lanaiguy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you Catch,
At least your responce was a little more civil.

My apologies for the mistake I was unaware that I could still buy the ORIGINAL xwing games to install on windows xp. All of my research shows that they are NOT available for XP, only an "easier" version is available on cd for install to XP.

I was under the impression that if a software developer doesn't upgrade their games to make them compatible for new systems, then that constitutes abandonment. Repackaging an easier version of an original game is not an upgrade for compatability.
But thank you all for the help and I will try to locate an ORIGINAL game for XP.
Lani

Reply 9 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Abandonware is not a legal term. Copyright doesn't follow such rules.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper