VOGONS

First post, by Squall41269

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, I'm new, I've been using DosBox for a while though to emulate very old pc games, Kings Quest IV, Pharaohs Tomb, etc. Yesterday I came across Deskmate, and I decided to try it to see if I could get it working somehow. I got it, to my surprise, but I cannot get the sound working. I can make notes in Music, but when I go to play it back it freezes. Can anybody help me? And in the simplistic terms as possible, because other than changing the pc from vga to Tandy I have no idea the other things in there. Thanks.

Reply 1 of 5, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What version of Deskmate are you using? Versions 3 for the Tandy 1000 series usually require Deskmate in ROM.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 3 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The MUSIC.PDM program in Deskmate 2 works in DOSBox with machine=tandy, but AFAICT it only supports Tandy 3-voice music and not the Tandy DAC.

The MUSIC.PDM and SOUND.PDM programs in Deskmate 3 use the Tandy DAC, and they work in DOSBox if you set things up in a specific way:

First, only a generic release of Deskmate 3 will work in DOSBox because the Tandy-specific releases typically require some part of the program in ROM. The generic releases don't include the MUSIC.PDM and SOUND.PDM programs, so you'll have to copy them and their associated files from a Tandy-specific release. I've successfully combined generic 3.02 with 3.02 sound files, and generic 3.05 with 3.04 sound files. I'm not sure how sensitive it is to mismatched versions, but it's probably a good idea to match them as closely as possible.

Unlike Deskmate 2, you don't have to use machine=tandy, you can use other machine types with tandy=on to have access to other video options.

Set sbtype=none in the DOSBox conf file. Tandy DAC detection fails if the sbtype setting is changed at runtime; it must be set to none in the conf. This also applies to the tandy=on setting if you're using something other than machine=tandy.

Lastly, a bit of general info about Deskmate 3: it uses the COMSPEC environment variable for the location of its config files unless told to do otherwise. If you're booting real DOS this shouldn't be a problem, but with DOSBox's internal DOS this means Z:\ will be used by default, which is not good. You could copy COMMAND.COM from the Z: drive to a writable drive and change the COMSPEC variable to point at it, but it's more convenient to set Deskmate 3's DMCONFIG environment variable. For example, if you have Deskmate 3 in C:\DM3, you would execute the command: SET DMCONFIG=C:\DM3

Reply 4 of 5, by Squall41269

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies, sorry I posted in the wrong category. I don't know which version of Deskmate I have, But I know which one I'm looking for. I don't know if this will help but it's the one that came with the Tandy TL/2, I know that could probably be ANY Deskmate. I know because I still have it, unfortunately I don't have a monitor. I tried Deskmate 3, I think, but the sound was all wrong, not the way I remembered it, the notes when I went to Music, and typed A B C D E ... etc sounded exactly the same, so I don't know why that would be. I'll keep trying though. I don't want to be a bother and keep asking questions either.

Reply 5 of 5, by Squall41269

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for updating this twice, but THANK YOU RIPSAW , I got it working. And it sound EXACTLY the same, the one I got. THANK YOU. You can close this or lock it or whatever you guys do. THANKS A MILLION.