VOGONS

First post, by Veloxi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone, how are you? My name is Brian, and I'm something of a long-time lurker. 😀

I'm writing today, however, because I could use some assistance. I'm trying to make narrated let's play videos of the DOS based TIE Fighter collector's CD using FRAPS, and while the game runs smooth as silk when using both DOSBox Game Launcher as well as loading the game manually, turning on video recording in FRAPS slows the game to a crawl.

I'm therefore wondering if anyone has been successful in capturing audio and video using FRAPS with TIE Fighter. It's worked fine with other DOS games, so I'm baffled as to why it won't with this one. I've tried different CPU and display settings and to no avail.

Any advice or assistance would be most welcome. Thanks for your time in advance. 😀

If it has a spaceship in it, I will play it.

Reply 3 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Run two recordings. Dosbox and your mic

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 7, by Veloxi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hhmmm, this may sound stupid, but I've never done that before. 😉 Might you have any suggestions for software that could help record the audio and mix it with the video?

If it has a spaceship in it, I will play it.

Reply 5 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think *any* video editor allows mixing audio and video. As for recording, I'm not on Windows anymore but there are simple audio recorder available, I think.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 7, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You probably want to mix them after the fact...why? So you can tweak audio levels and such (maybe use a comb filter so you'll sound clear). Look at the ADG or Lazy Game Reviews videos: they lower volume when speaking (for a good reason: frequencies do clash with each other and you end up sounding like a mess). You *could* get away with, maybe, a bit more volume from the game if using a comb filter. You could use Audacity for recording your voice over and mixing (though you'll have to extract the audio from your video, virtualdub can help you there).