VOGONS

Kick Off 3

Topic actions

First post, by VisitntX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I need some help.
I have a problem with this game, I cannot calibrate the joystick, and I've tried all the options relating to the joystick in dosbox config but no way to fix the problem, the joystick is always in the lower right corner and does not move from there, and the saddest part is that the game only uses joystick to play.
I've tried dosbox 0.74 and the last svn, and the results are the same.

Any idea on how to fix this problem?

Reply 4 of 11, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Tried it with a joykey mapping, joysticktype=2axis timed=true cycles=10000, and didn't notice any problem. According to the README you can press C on the Controls menu with the joystick centered to calibrate the center point.

Reply 6 of 11, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yes, I had tried the European Challenge version; and now that I try the other version, I see the issue with the joystick that you describe. It's kind of strange that it doesn't start "drifting" until after you move the joystick. A deadzone doesn't seem to help. There may be no easy solution for now; but the game's joystick axis code involves timer behavior, so the problem may be resolved by the timer re-write.

Reply 8 of 11, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I found that the joysticktype=4axis_2 setting gives a slight bit of control that allows you to start a game. It's not playable, but just to see how it runs. The procedure is a bit tricky: you press a button to select the English language, and then on the main menu pressing right causes the pointer to drift to the upper right, and down causes it to drift to the lower right, so you can maneuver over one of the game options and press the button, and when the pointer finally settles in the lower right just keep pressing the button to proceed into the game.

There seems to be a graphics issue in the main gameplay regarding horizontal scrolling and the bottom status line. The machine=vgaonly setting eliminates the messed up referee graphics and the junk beneath the status line, but the status line still slides jumpingly left and right when it should stay still, and the player and ball sprites show some "ghosting" when the screen scrolls that looks like it's related to page flipping.

Reply 9 of 11, by VisitntX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're right, with that option, I can enter to play, but as well you say, I can not move the players and also has some graphical errors.
It seems that this game is hard to emulate properly.

Reply 10 of 11, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The joystick seems to work in the game with this hack to joystick.cpp:

stick[0].ytick = currentTick + 1000.0*( JOY_S_CONSTANT + S_PER_OHM *
- (double)(((stick[0].ypos+1.0)* OHMS)) );
+ (double)(((stick[0].ypos+1.0)* OHMS/3)) );

Moving down hesitates a bit when dividing by 2, but with 3 the movement seems smooth in all directions. The problem remains if you do the same to the x-axis. I have no idea why changing only the y-axis helps.

The game can at least be played with the hack, although the graphic glitches that remain with machine=vgaonly are a little distracting.