VOGONS

First post, by aeronix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,
First of all thanks for this software to help bring ones nostalgia back. I installed WIN 3.1 based on the instructions here as B & A requires window. I am using a 19"monitor Notebook with Win 7 x 64.
My issues are listed below.

1.What is the correct resolution to be adopted for the DOS box to start maximized and positioned correctly on the TOP LEFT CORNER. The status window positions rightly. I saw thru the posts here and tried many combinations but still unable to hit the correct one.

2.On starting WIN 3.1 the same issue , I have to drag the windows to the left top. On starting B & A I am unable to get it to run full , and the bottom nearly 25% is invisible.

3.The Annoying part is the DOS Box status window title bar remains steadfast and WIN window could not be placed at the screen top.

4.The same annoyances troubles the WOLF 3D game window too.

Any help and suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
PS Why is the editor like BOLD and italics not working for me?
EDITED Sorry -the editor does work. Could not see it in the preview and also missed the tags.

Last edited by aeronix on 2013-02-23, 17:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 22, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It sounds like you enabled screen zoom in Win7. Make sure it's set at 100% or you'll see cropped images inside your programs windows.

Reply 3 of 22, by aeronix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

THAnx for the replies. I have posted the snaps in sequential order , right from opening DOS box , to loading WIN 3.1 to loading the game.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 22, by aeronix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have pasted the config from the conf file. The one which are hashed are which I tried to no avail..

# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
#fullscreen=true
#fullscreen
#set cycles=max
#cycles=auto 5000 80% limit 20000
#windowresolution=1024x768
#fullresolution=1024x768
#fullresolution=800x600
#fullresolution=original
#fullscreen=true
#windowresolution=800x600
#fullresolution=1024x768
windowresolution=1366x768
fullresolution=1366x768
fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false

#output=surface
output=surface
#autolock=false
[/i]sensitivity=100
aspect=true
[/i]
#scaler=false

#aspect=4x3
#output=opengl
#hwscale=2.00
cycles=auto 3000 80% limit 15000
[/i]

Reply 6 of 22, by aeronix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion. Made those changes , still the problem remains.
Auto-hide or aspect or full screen corrections as suggested did not help and the issue remains in place the same way.
What could possibly be bugging?

Reply 8 of 22, by aeronix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Which problem?

Pressing ALT+ENTER will toggle fullscreen.

THe problems which started this thread. Alt + Enter hangs the screen. There is no cursor blink. I have to come back to normal mode to see things again...

Reply 11 of 22, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aeronix wrote:

I think I am using a fairly modern notebook. Any spec on the video drivers?

I have no idea what notebook you are using or what kind of video drivers you might need. All I can suggest is to check the manufacturer's website to see if there are any updates available.

Output = Surface is already on.

It is not a matter of being "on", it is a matter of changing it to overlay, opengl, openglnb, or ddraw .

Reply 12 of 22, by aeronix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Once again thanks for trying to help. I tried this and to no avail. If someone is using the same environment as me , might be I can tap on. Meanwhile I have added this game "BOW AND ARROW" which works thru Win 3.1. Can you/anyone please run and if fine post the config here. The error screens which I recd are already posted in my 2nd post. I am desperate to get it going. My fear is that I am going wrong with the config only.Thanks.

Attachments

• Filename
    bow and arrow.zip
    File size
    58.87 KiB
    Downloads
    100 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13 of 22, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The specific program you are trying to run does not really have anything to do with the particular problem you are experiencing.

aeronix wrote:

Once again thanks for trying to help. I tried this and to no avail.

What exactly did you try?

Put aside Windows for now. Does DOSBox function normally in fullscreen (i.e. after pressing ALT+ENTER) before launching Windows 3.x?

I notice that your screenshots are all 800x600. Does your computer work correctly when you set your desktop resolution to 1366x768, as you have inserted in your dosbox.conf?

Reply 14 of 22, by aeronix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Regards the first query , I tried changing output to opengl , ddraw etc and nothing worked.

Pressing Alt + enter (IMMEDIATELY ON LAUNCHING DOS BOX) gives the full screen , but disallows typing anything. Literally hangs . TO get it to working I have to come out of it again by Alt+enter.

I also tried changing the res of the desktop to 13
66x768 and mirrored it in the conf. The DOS box starts as a small box in the middle , and the screen maximize square als0 does not work..
At a higher res though the Win>> game window comes within the screen , but in no way the full screen sought of.

Inching on towards a solution surely...

Reply 15 of 22, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aeronix wrote:

66x768 and mirrored it in the conf. The DOS box starts as a small box in the middle , and the screen maximize square als0 does not work..
At a higher res though the Win>> game window comes within the screen , but in no way the full screen sought of.

It is extremely difficult to understand what you are trying to say.

Does pressing ALT+Enter always result in a frozen screen, regadless of what setting you use for "output=" ? What if you use fullresolution=desktop ?

Reply 16 of 22, by aeronix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
aeronix wrote:

It is extremely difficult to understand what you are trying to say.

Does pressing ALT+Enter always result in a frozen screen, regadless of what setting you use for "output=" ? What if you use fullresolution=desktop ?

1.I think I had been clear in trying to convey what I saw in my screen.

2.Yes ALT + Enter always renders a non-functional cursor, whatever typed is not visible . In all modes of output ir surface, overlay, opengl, openglnb, or ddraw. I have attached a snap.

3. Even with that , I tried to load win . The word typed "win"is not visible but surprisingly window loads , but hangs thereafter.I am unable to move the cursor. Also eventhough the snap indicates more space, only the area within the red boundary is visible in the console.

Attachments

• DOS Box 2013-02-20_001607.gif
    Filename
    DOS Box 2013-02-20_001607.gif
    File size
    9.27 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    REF Point 2
    File license
  • Filename
    DOS BOX 2013-02-20_063915.gif
    File size
    19.41 KiB
    Downloads
    42 downloads
    File comment
    REF Point 3
    File license

Reply 18 of 22, by aeronix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What does older conf mean? I am using the latest DOS Box 0.74.

Also Alt+Enter hangs the screen when I enter the dosbox or Win3.1 subsequently. I believe going we are getiing near the solution.

Reply 19 of 22, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aeronix wrote:

What does older conf mean? I am using the latest DOS Box 0.74.

Your dosbox.conf seems to have options that were only used with older versions of DOSBox and that are not used in DOSBox 0.74.

You should start over fresh. Use the "Reset Options" entry in the DOSBox Start menu group, and then try the different options for "output" again, without changing anything else, and see if DOSBox still freezes when you try to go fullscreen.

Actually:

aeronix wrote:

# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
#fullscreen=true

Are you just sticking in lines at the end of your dosbox.conf ? Because that's not going to do anything! After you reset the options, you have to find the line that already says "output=surface" and change that. Don't add new lines!

Also Alt+Enter hangs the screen when I enter the dosbox or Win3.1 subsequently. I believe going we are getiing near the solution.

Isn't that exactly what it was doing before..?