VOGONS

Yo! Joe!

Topic actions

First post, by VisitntX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a problem with this game, every time i finish the first level (after killing the boss) the game freezes and can not do anything else.

I tried this game with an old pc that i have and the game runs without problems (although, after win the first level, the light on the floppy drive stays always on)

Reply 1 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It sounds like you should try booting into DOS with a real disk image. (Unless Mr. Ripsaw jumps in with another brilliant patch. 🤣 )

I wrote some quick and dirty instructions to get going in Captain Blood Doesn't Start .

Reply 2 of 18, by VisitntX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mmm, from what I read, the problem lies in the "INT 13H", this game seems to use a type of protection a bit complicated (that dosbox can not handle it)
I hope that someone can try to fix this problem.

Reply 3 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Hence the boot disk approach 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
VisitntX wrote:

I think this game is only playable with a real (old) machine with floppy drive.

Well, if all else fails, there's always Bochs or PCem.

It might be useful to try a debug-enabled version of DOSBox and see if it outputs any useful messages.

Reply 12 of 18, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The game's keydisk copy protection must be cracked to run it in DOSBox, but the existing TDT crack does not eliminate dependence on the floppy disk controller (because it didn't have to). The attached patch program will remove the FDC dependency, and it can be applied to original files or on top of the existing TDT crack. Run the program in DOSBox where the game is installed. With the patch, and the help of the TDT trainer, I was able to reach the end of the game in both DOSBox 0.74 and SVN. I used the machine=vgaonly setting because some messy graphics are hidden by video blanking as they would be on real VGA.

Edit: Improved the patch to remove all calls to INT 13h, won't access the floppy drive at all. Also fixed two glitches caused by the TDT crack where the level 3 boss graphics were messed up and the level 4 exit portal did not appear after defeating the boss (although you could still exit by walking left).

Attachments

• Filename
    JOEFIX.ZIP
    File size
    429 Bytes
    Downloads
    160 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by ripsaw8080 on 2013-03-04, 11:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 18, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

McGuyver or A-Team?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 16 of 18, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ripsaw8080 wrote:

the existing TDT crack does not eliminate dependence on the floppy disk controller (because it didn't have to). The attached patch program will remove the FDC dependency

So I guess this means DOSBox's FDC emulation is missing something?

Reply 17 of 18, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

More than missing "something", FDC emulation is just plain missing. The same is true for the hard disk controller. The reason is that most games and apps use the DOS or BIOS interface (which DOSBox does emulate) to read and write on drives. Usually it's the BIOS that directly interacts with controller hardware.