VOGONS

First post, by xandman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i am pleased to see this near impossible to run game [even on old comps cos it needed loads of conventional memory] is runnable with dosbox - only problem is there's no sound - the sound tests in the setup work fine with the music and Joe saying "im joe king pilot for hire but then dosbox asks for which souncard you want again after exit i press all the right keys but still it starts silently.

on my old computer it didn't run with voices if you didn't have the set blaster command in the autoexec.bat. i noticed the dosbox set blaster command was different than my set blaster command in the autoexec.bat. i couldn't change the line in dosbox so i changed my autoexec.bat but that didn't do anything.

Any ideas please? or is it just that sound isn't supported with this game yet

Reply 1 of 12, by Dark Knight ez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i managed to get it working...
you'll need to copy the entire CD to your harddrive though.
if you then run the install/setup, a new folder will appear (SAV.dir or something) containing a file with your setup-data, and thus remembering what music and sound options you made.
that file will be accessed each time you play FotAQ, and since that file is not on the CD itself, it makes sense you don't have music & sound when you try to play it from the CD (because the install/setup can't create the file on your cd-rom, naturally).

so... in short... just copy the entire cd to your harddrive. ;)

Reply 2 of 12, by xandman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks man but it didn't work - i tried it from both my hard drives, put everything and dosbox in the same directory and i even created the setup file outside dosbox before runnning - it still isn't reading it - it has got something to do with not reading the setup file tho cos i can't save either so therefore wont create savegames - so the question is how do i get dosbox to read and create files - any ideas? cheers

Reply 3 of 12, by Dark Knight ez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hmm... let me give you a detailed description of what to do then.
1) first of all, copy the entire CD to a folder on your harddisk.
2) run dosbox and mount that folder (e.g. "mount c c:\amazonqueen")
3) access the harddrive (e.g. "c:\") and run AQ.BAT (like so: "AQ.BAT")

then, the install should automaticly run, and the folder with the file should be created (a folder called QUEEN.SAV containing the file QUEEN.CFG) and if i'm correct, FotAQ should be run automaticly.

if that doesn't work, erm... i could email you that one file setup created, i guess.
if you then run FotAQ, it should have sound enabled.

P.S.
dosbox CAN create files, including savegames...
just don't try to do things in the (by dosbox) mounted folder, in windows.
that is to say, dosbox can't handle changed directories and files too well, if it didn't change them itself.

... // bda. very bda!
... // but only if you turn godo into csah.

Reply 4 of 12, by xandman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

cheers - i guess i was mounting to the wrong drive letter or something cos i followed ur instructions, copied the game to c and mounted it as C:\queen.sav, i ran the setup program separatly from c:\english, then typed queen and it worked, the soundblaster music sounded naff at first so i tried roland and it now sounds like soundblaster music should which is weird cos roland usually just produces piano and drum sounds.
it was also a little slow during the intro but after it it was fine with no frameskip - so i just put the frameskip up 4 the intro and it was ok there too. now the only problem with it is, that it crashes randomly every now and then, but that will probably be corrected with the next dosbox version. im enjoying playing this game again. thanks 4 your help.

Reply 5 of 12, by Dark Knight ez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

random crashes you say? that'd be really lousy. :\
i'm not in the mood for playing the game right now, so i'm not gonna see if it happens to me too... i was just curious myself if i'd get the sound running on FotAQ.

the explenation of what you've done precisely is a bit confusing, by the way.
you've mounted C:\queen.sav ??? why would you want to do that?
queen.sav(.dir) is just a subdirectory of what you'd have to mount... is it not?
could you clarify a bit?

... // bda. very bda!

Reply 6 of 12, by 68_Outbreak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just thought I'd mention that this game will be supported in the next version of ScummVM. If you can't wait, the latest CVS build should support it, although there is apparently no music and minor graphical glitches.

Worth a try.

Reply 7 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
68_Outbreak wrote:

Just thought I'd mention that this game will be supported in the next version of ScummVM. If you can't wait, the latest CVS build should support it, although there is apparently no music and minor graphical glitches.

Worth a try.

Te te te 😀
Oh well I suggest playing it in dosbox I finished it without glitches and without crashes with full speech.

Ran perfectly.
And that was 1 month ago.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 12, by Dark Knight ez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i prefer dosbox over scummvm myself too.
with dosbox, if it works, it works... but with scummvm, there are usually some minor glitches.

for example, the intro of Indiana Jones using scummvm cracked me up.
Indy should've been walking, but he was floating because the graphics for his character weren't refreshed for the new scene.
they do a good job though, at scummvm. especially liked to play Beneath a Steel Sky again. :)

edit:
oh... Qbix, did you get FotAQ running in dosbox without having to copy the entire cd to your harddisk?

2nd edit:
i'm so stupid. mounting the cdrom drive, and mounting a local harddrive as c does the trick as well.
no need to copy the entire cdrom to your harddisk (though that can never hurt if you have enough space).
the FotAQ installer just wanted a C-drive to create a folder in which contains the settings, and savegames.

... // bda. very bda!

Reply 9 of 12, by xandman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well i thought it might work if everything was in the same directory but i suppose it wouldn't have mattered if i put the game in c:\queen not sure what i did differently - i think i was mounting it to a different drive letter than the game was on eg i might have been mounting c:\queen to D:\

as for crashes - its very rare and seems to happen with every game - i tried monkey island and it happened but it hasn't happened in queen since near the beginning in the plane - im now at sloth island. its probably cos im running on a pentium 650 and the readme says it needs like 2 gigahertz to run at the equivelent of a 386/25

edit oh yeah that was it - i wasn't mounting a c drive so therefore it couldn't save the config file if i mounted the game on any drive as long as i had a c drive mounted it would still run i guess

Reply 11 of 12, by Dark Knight ez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

good to hear the game doesn't crash a lot anymore, xandman.
may you enjoy the game... i know i will.

and Snover... you truly deserve your title 'grand genious' ;p

... // bda. very bda!

Reply 12 of 12, by Pashitos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:
Te te te :) Oh well I suggest playing it in dosbox I finished it without glitches and without crashes with full speech. […]
Show full quote

Te te te 😀
Oh well I suggest playing it in dosbox I finished it without glitches and without crashes with full speech.

Ran perfectly.
And that was 1 month ago.

Qbix, it runs great with DOSBox, but the only type of music I can choose is Roland, it plays well, but I get some weird music (playing chaotic) at Flora Factory location.