VOGONS

First post, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have found this game crashes at any speed setting over around 78,000 cycles, however even with a lower setting that gets the game running, there are issues with the sound.

I have the full cd imaged, with audio tracks, how I hear no cd audio, and the audio effects I do hear skip badly.

Going to the sound options and attempting to play a track causes the game to briefly freeze.

The debug screen shows the sound blaster IRQ just going nuts.

I attempted 0.74 as well as the SVN build.

Reply 3 of 9, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hrm, not sure, I have my install set to just run with Max cycles/dynamic (seems to run ~150,000 cycles), and I don't notice any crashing with brief play, at least with SB16 sound/Yhkwong's build. Should be able to test an official build later.

I am missing music though, so there does seem to be something going wrong with CD audio.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 4 of 9, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've I launch the game at anything over 78000 cycles I immediately get crash gibberish at the command line. i can post a screen shot or a debug log tomorrow if that helps, but it's not the real issue. The music is, which seems to be something we are both dealing with.

Reply 5 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you image the CD as BIN+CUE, and are you mounting the CUE file in DOSBox via the IMGMOUNT command before launching the game?

Did you install from the same CD image, with it being mounted in the exact same manner at the time of installation?

Reply 6 of 9, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I'm using a bin/cue, and it's audio tracks will play via standard means.

Here's the possibly relevant updates to my DOSBox config and my mounts....

[dosbox]
vmemsize=8
memsize=63

[cpu]
cycles=max

[autoexec]
mount C "W:\Games\Time Warriors"
imgmount D "W:\Games\Time Warriors\Time War.cue" -t iso
C:
cd \TIMEWAR
START.EXE

With DOSBox .74 I can confirm exofreeze's crash with higher cycle counts. Though the output isn't complete gibberish if run from the HD install...
Time_Warriors_DB_74_Error.png
...if start.exe is launched from the CD though it prompts for config, but once started leaves the video in an low-res mode with illegible text like shapes.

CD Audio is broken as previously reported, though I saw something odd when "Random" is selected for the Music CD option, where it started scrolling through tracks one after the other automatically, but without playing anything.

Reply 7 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Someone reports on the compatibility list that they got it working, but they didn't give any details, so it's possible CD audio didn't work for them either: http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=4322&letter=T

Also, there's another recent thread: Time Warriors 1997 (Silmarils company)

Reply 8 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The crash at startup happens only sometimes on my system with cycles=auto, and appears to be caused by the game uninstalling its SB interrupt handler before the interrupt fires, meaning the interrupt is too slow or the code is too fast. I find the crash happens infrequently with "cycles=auto limit 75000", but the main part of the game (fighting) is smoother with more cycles.

The audio tracks are not working because the game is confused by the lack of support for the cdrom driver seek function. Very few games use seek, and this game seems to use it only to convert MSF to HSG sector numbers. It first reads the start sector for a particular track in MSF, calls the seek function with that MSF sector, calls the get position function to get the HSG sector, and finally calls the play function with the HSG sector. Seems pointless to me, but maybe the game developers had some reason to prefer HSG.

The attached workaround program simulates seeks by converting them to zero length plays -- nothing actually plays, but the current position is updated. Run the program in DOSBox before running the game and the audio tracks should work. It also fixes the intro movie in Alpha Storm.

Attachments

• Filename
    CDSEEK.ZIP
    File size
    791 Bytes
    Downloads
    202 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 9, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

holy cow. someone get the trumpets dusted off and play some victory music. ripsaw saves the day again. I really need to send you a giftcard to go out to a nice dinner or something. I mean it man, you are impressive.