VOGONS

First post, by STAUF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK. First off, I have to praise the creators of DOSBOX, for making something so righteous, and so powerful, that it runs nearly every OLD DOS game I ever had, on a WIN 7 PC 64 bit, with a whole lot of speed and power, and it still manages to work great. THANK YOU!!! I installed CARMAGEDDON off the disk, with no trouble at all. Running almost perfect, just like the old days. One thing I am noticing, however, is that the game does not show the driver avatar, in the upper corner, when I play in HIRES, or STANDARD MODE. It's like that part of the game is totally missing. I used to get a kick out of the facial expressions that the guy would make, and how he would holler "WAH HEY!", when you were speeding down a straightaway. Can anybody tell me what would make this not work, in the game. Can it be fixed? I am running DOSBOX v0.74. Maybe I need to install a different way than by using the installer that the game came with, on the CD? Lastly, which is better for playing: Cockpit view, or Outside view. I tend to prefer Outside, so I get better views of targets, and have more chance to score. Cockpit view seems to require you to just go forward, and you don't get to see as much of the game environment. Am I a cheater? One point I noticed is that when playing HIRES, it's not as nice looking, and I am thinking the DOSBOX can't handle the distance rendering, as I see a lot of white "mist" in the distance. Not using HIRES looks, and works just fine. Anyone who can help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Reply 2 of 4, by STAUF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK. I see there is a problem. I hit the P key, and I get a "NOT ENOUGH MEMORY" statement. I have GIGS of RAM to spare, so I guess I have to do something to the DOSBOX config, or else a different install. Can anyone help with that??? 😲

Reply 4 of 4, by STAUF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

memsize= setting is the amount of memory DOSBox has in megabytes, change it to 24, 32, or 63 (max).

WHA HEY!!!! That is the way we roll!!! Great help and great communication!!! I now have it working, and it is crackin' me up. Thanks to you both, for fast, and easy help on this. If I can ever do the same, I sure will try. Keep those old games alive. They use IMAGINATION!