VOGONS

First post, by robertvaliant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can run Monkey Island from normal DOS but I can't get sound. When I run it in DOSbox I am told to insert Disk 1. Well, I don't have the disk. I tried tricking the computer as it explains in the DOSbox Read Me document but the same thing happened. If you know what I should do to ignore the disk prompt then please let me know. Thanks.

Reply 3 of 11, by robertvaliant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Chaosfish. I am not in an enormous hurry so I think I will wait for version 0.6.0.

Xandman, thanks too. No I am not running it from disk. I do have disk1.lec on the directory but not monkey.001 or monkey.000 .

I don't know what the implications of that are but I am guessing you do...

Reply 8 of 11, by xandman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

if u have disk1.lec you must be running the floppy version from the Hard disk - i tried it direct from disk the other day to see what disk swapping was like - there shore is a lot of it, especially if you have roland sound then it asks you to insert disk 4 then 1 again every time you change screen with music.

so try a. playing it direct from disk

b. check that disk1.lec is not corrupted - if you have the vga 256 colour 3.5inch verion it should be 1.04 megs.
also disk2.lec should be 1.06 megs
disk3.lec = 1.12 megs
disk4.lec = 0.99 megs

Reply 9 of 11, by robertvaliant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All 4 .lec files are slightly bigger than that. The disk swapping is a pain. I think I might just stick with the soundless version for now. Thanks anyway.

Reply 10 of 11, by xandman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hmm - there's so many different versions of monkey island out there, or maybe my comp is so full of error it's reporting file sizes wrong, either way playing monkey island without sound looses half the fun of the game.
Disk swapping isnt too bad if u use gameblaster sound, plus if the amiga versions anything to go by [where i first played it], disk 4 stays inserted from the start of part 3 on monkey island right the way up to the last part where u return to melee [or for a similar time period around that point]

Reply 11 of 11, by Eppis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For some reason I have a problem with sound, too. In fact, neither ScummVM nor Dosbox Monkey Island has any sound. With ScummVM, I can't even "change the volume" with [ and ] (the bar doesn't show up). I have tried with different soundcards from the command line of Dosbox but nothing seems to work.

There is intro music, right? I don't have to play for fifteen minutes until the first sounds?