VOGONS

First post, by P4R4D0X

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Revenge Pack DeLuxe is an adventure game trilogy made by a Hungarian developer called Polgár Tamás aka Tomcat and consists of three games. Revenge on School, Revenge on Police and Revenge on Army.

Very little information can be found online about the group Controlled Dreams which is Tomcat's old group from the scene, and about the game. So I dug deeper and deeper and found the trilogy and it works in DOSBox just fine, however that's not the Deluxe Pack, and it doesn't have music. I emailed the developer and asked him if he can send it to me, because it seems to be missing from the entire internet, even if it was a freeware.

OK back to the game and it's problems. First things first grab it from the attachment if you want to take a look at it. Most likely you won't be able to understand 95% of the stuff, and that's acceptable, and I'm not going to cover anything from the game.

First things is to extract the file and mount it in DOSBox... This should be pretty easy. Usually I set the cycles to max and I did in this case. I used 0.74 and SVN with the default config file. Then run SZETAP.EXE that should be the setup utility spelled in Hungarian. After that choose Adlib I selected the last option 36000 Hz - 486DX-II, Pentium, but I guess it doesn't really matter what you choose here, because it doesn't change anything and doesn't fix the issue.

From what I can tell the setup utility will cdmodply.cfg in these directories:

rpd\suli\cdmodply.cfg
rpd\police\cdmodply.cfg
rpd\army\cdmodply.cfg
rpd\choose\cdmodply.cfg
rpd\rpdintro\intro\cdmodply.cfg

That should be the three games, game launcher/track chooser utility and an intro. All should be the exact same file.

At this point you can run REVENGE.EXE and you will see the first bug. At this point it should launch the game and music selector, but it just hangs. In the non-debug version of DOSBox you won't see anything special in the console. However the debug build of 0.74 spits out a bunch of these.

CPU:Illegal Unhandled Interrupt Called 2E

Yes, it's another interrupt that DOSBox haven't learned yet. I Googled it and found it here what this does actually.
Link: http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/doc/rbinter/id/64/42.html

Then I started looking for a workaround, because I haven't got any good advice except this... 🤣

[19:10] <@Harekiet> go implement it P4R4D0X!

So I installed MS-DOS 6.22 in VMware Player and it worked just fine. That means that the files are not corrupted. From what I can tell REVENGE.EXE launches CHOOSE.EXE from rdp\choose so I tried running it in DOSBox, and it worked.

Next step is to choose your episode and it doesn't matter which one you pick. After that choose Zene választása or choose music and pick one song from the list. Then choose START!... What will now happen is two files were made one .ini file that stores your selection from the setup, and a batch file called GO.BAT that is used for launching the game.

I inspected the directory structure, files and the batch file and found out what is really going on. Here are the contents of the batch file:

@echo off
cd..
cd suli
..\cdmodply\cdmodply.exe ..\muzax\gmuzak1.s3m suli.exe
cd..

It just changes to the episode you have chosen runs a tsr mod player called CDMODPLY.EXE which uses the .cfg files created. It loads a .s3m tracker module and launches the game with out lovely Adlib settings.

Now launch the game with GO.BAT. This is the workaround I came up with that seems to work just fine in DOSBox.

Second issue is the sound is messed up. The music plays, but it's distorted, just like Buttman and The Jungly from the Twilight zone that TheGreatCodeholio demonstrated in the DOSBox-X topic. Don't know for sure if it's the same exact issue, or something similar. Tried using his build but doesn't change a thing.

Also in the console I see this PIT timer pattern:

24079032: PIT:PIT 0 Timer at 35093.5885 Hz mode 3
24081376: PIT:PIT 0 Timer at 35093.5885 Hz mode 3
24352447: PIT:PIT 0 Timer at 150.0103 Hz mode 3
24354721: PIT:PIT 0 Timer at 150.0103 Hz mode 3
24376966: PIT:PIT 0 Timer at 35093.5885 Hz mode 3
24469067: PIT:PIT 0 Timer at 150.0103 Hz mode 3
24471357: PIT:PIT 0 Timer at 150.0103 Hz mode 3
24493602: PIT:PIT 0 Timer at 35093.5885 Hz mode 3
24585573: PIT:PIT 0 Timer at 150.0103 Hz mode 3
24587847: PIT:PIT 0 Timer at 150.0103 Hz mode 3
24609985: PIT:PIT 0 Timer at 35093.5885 Hz mode 3

Is this a timing issue? I don't know...

All other sound options work just fine. PC Speaker, DAC and Sound Blaster Pro. Even the readme "AdLib (rulez!)". So I guess the developer had one and it worked just fine for him. Tomcat mentions in the readme that the player came from a Spanish group called VangeliSTeam and it's not his creation.

Also while I'm in the game I see some of these popping up, but the game doesn't have any mouse support. You only use the keyboard for navigation.

MOUSE:Mouse Function 4500 not implemented!

The only thing that bothers me is the Adlib glitch, all the others are tolerable and it can be easily worked around. Even this one by using another sound card from the setup utility. Don't know if any of these will be ever fixed in the next version, because I can still reproduce it with the most recent SVN.

Sorry for the long post, I hope I just saved you a little time so you don't have to look all into everything. These is pretty much everything I can find and report.

Thank you for taking the time reading all this.

Attachments

• Filename
    rpd.zip
    File size
    2.22 MiB
    Downloads
    218 downloads
    File comment
    Revenge Pack DeLuxe - Hungarian adventure game trilogy
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by P4R4D0X on 2013-08-01, 18:07. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It's a known issue that using the adlib for digitized sound doesn't work well in DOSBox. FM synthesis is already pretty heavy CPU-wise, and the sampling rate needed for digitized stuff would make the load even heavier. Hal-9000 tried an experiment to offload the digitized sound from the adlib to the disney/covox device, but in the end that's not much different from using DAC output if the game supports it.

The attached TSR program is a generic INT 2Eh simulator that converts the function call into a shell command. Run it in DOSBox before any programs that need the function.

Attachments

• Filename
    INT2E.ZIP
    File size
    1001 Bytes
    Downloads
    129 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 5, by P4R4D0X

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you very much ripsaw for your efforts. The TSR works really well. I'm just amazed how much it changed the whole experience with the game. Now if I run REVENGE.EXE I can now actually see the RPDINTRO, and even the episode selector has music too. Everything works just as expected, and now I know what are those extra .s3m files in the directory.

I didn't new about the Adlib thingy, at first I thought it shouldn't differ to much from SoundBlaster emulation... But this time it is. Probably that's why there's no Original SoundBlaster option in the setup program. Oh well, hopefully one day we will have faster and faster CPUs and we will be able to handle FM synthesis, and eliminate similar issues.

Thanks again dude!

Reply 3 of 5, by tomcat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Excuse me, gentlemen, but what the heck are you doing with my lame little game from my teenage years? Learning to curse in Hungarian or picking up totally un-PC manners to deal with the world?

Well, I just dropped in here by chance. I am truly amazed that you actually care about this little Turbo Pascal thingy. More shocked that it's still a cult game in Hungary, which I frankly never intended. But well, I seemingly ooze excellence even unintentionally. 😀

About Controlled Dreams: It used to be a not really high ranked Hungarian demoscene group between 1995 and 1998. We produced two mediocre 64K intros (titled Penaten and Szandal in 1997), the FLaG demoparties in Budapest (1996-98) and some other stuff. It all ended when I was drafted into the army. Members were, besides of me: Artist, James Baud, Gaf, (TR), Wolf and Worf. In fact the only product that actually got widespread was the Revenge trilogy.

But seriously dudes, why bother about an old adventure game in a foreign language?

Reply 4 of 5, by P4R4D0X

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why not? This is the best game ever dude! There's nothing wrong with the game if you speak Hungarian I guess... This stuff must be preserved before it completely disappears off the face of the earth. This is a very rare version of the game, so this would save some time for those who wants to play the game again. Even better that we have the original author here as well. The game is freeware, right? 😎

Oh and the cursing in the game? Well definitely the Revenge trilogy is not for pussies!

Üdv Tomcat! Én vagyok az az illető akivel Április elején társalogtál. Megemlítettem, hogy kiraktam ide és látom rátaláltál, vetted a fáradságot és hozzászóltál a topikhoz. Hálás köszönet érte!

Reply 5 of 5, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tomcat wrote:

But seriously dudes, why bother about an old adventure game in a foreign language?

Short version: DOSBox is trying to be a really robust emulator for classic games. If it is a game that works on original hardware, and doesn't in DOSBox, it's a bug that must be investigated, no matter how obscure the game.

However, I always like it when developers show up here. Thanks for stopping by! 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto