Rank Newbie
Rank

MSI KT400 Ultra
AMD XP 2100+
1 gig PC2700 RAM
GeForce4 Ti4200 128mb DDR
Windows XP Professional

Ultima VII: The Complete Series

Problem #1: Please remove your expanded memory manager before playing Ultima VII.

Fix: I used old school techniques to get around this. I went into Windows\System folder and made copies of the Autoexec.nt and Configsys.nt. I then altered them like a boot disk and put them in the C:\Ultima7 folder according to old boot disk instructions that came with the game. I then went into the properties of the Ultima7.exe and told it to use the newly created Autoexe.bat and Config.sys.

Problem #2: After problem #1 was fixed I could get the game to play the intro at the correct speed and everything however no sound (sound I'm not particularly worried about at this point, I'll fight that battle later). At the end of the intro he jumps into a portal which should take you to the beginning of the game/menu screen. At this point the game crashes back to windows.

Attempted Fix for Problem #2: I assumed that at this point the game was supposed to read from the CD-ROM and couldn't, so crashed. I could be wrong here. I use Daemon Tools to create a virtual hard drive with all the information on the Ultima VII CD (Took an image of it using CloneCD then posted the image in Daemon Tools). All of this may be totally of base but I had no clue where to turn.

Surfing the net for more information I stumbled across DOSBox and thought I had the answer to my prayers. I attempted to play Ultima VII and got the Problem #1 error again.

Using DOSBox .60

I've read the readme and am totally confused (boot disks I'm good at, DOS commands not so much). Any suggestions?

Ultima VII: The complete series, is killing me...

Reply 1 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

dosbox comes with a configfile. (dosbox.conf)
there you can disable the memory manager needed.
(look under [dos])

I'm not sure if U7 is totally stable in 0.60. It may have issues with saving/loading.
Wait for the next version to have to those solved.

else run with high cycles. Seems to help But this could be for ultima 8... I'm not sure.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 12, by Loreley

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I felt extremely happy when the game actually worked with your specifications 😀 Howewer, I can't save or load. Has anyone had this problem before and any idea how to solve it?
Thanks for your help!

Reply 7 of 12, by Sigurd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am actually having a different problem with the same series. I am trying to install it and it fails on me. I dont have the game on CD, I have it from when it was on 3.5 floppies and it will not read anything after the first disk.
I use the following command to start Dosbox
dosbox -fullscreen -c "MOUNT A A:\ -t floppy" -c "MOUNT C C:\" (and have also tried it without the -t floppy)
I then switch to A: and run the install.exe file, the goes through the first disk pretty well (it does however black screen on me for about a minute after starting to copy the files but pressing Enter repeatedly brings it back). Then when it is finished and asks me to place the second disk in the drive it just wont read it. When I exit from the installation program and try to pull up a directory of A: with the second disk in it comes up with no files (same goes for all disks 2-7 but disk 1 has a directory listing), however if I look at the same disks in Windows they all have their files on them.
I have also tried copying the disks to a directory on my C drive and then mounting that with the following command -c "MOUNT A C:\Floppy" trying to trick it into thinking C:\floppy is the A drive but that does not work either, it still looks for the disk 2 in the floppy drive.
Am I missing something here? How were you all able to get the game to install? Is there a way I can place it onto a CD and do it from there?
Any help would be appreciated even if I cant play the game until the next version of Dosbox due to the save/load problems talked about it would be nice to eventaully be able to play these games again.

Thanks in advance and also thanks to the developers of Dosbox because this program rocks! I've actually been able to play old Dos games that I've never been able to play even when I had Win95.

Reply 8 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

What system are you running Dosbox on? The problem with the way you are going is that once you mounted the floppy disk you *can't* change it (well, you can but Dosbox doesn't recognize this and therefore you run into the problem you have).
If you are running a flavour of Windows you can just start the install in a command prompt or just by double-clicking it.
For any other OS, my first advice would be to still do it from Windows if you have any access to a Windows box and somehow get the files over from that box.
OR try other PC-emulators: Virtual-PC (for MAC) or Bochs, maybe Dosemu.

Reply 9 of 12, by Sigurd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am running WinXP and it actually will not even start the installation from Windows, either from the command line or by double clicking on the install.exe file. 🙁

The following error is given when I attempt to install from Windows

**** DOS ERROR ****
Drive not ready on drive E
Make sure that the drive latch is closed
Press any key to continue

Well... I am not attempting to do anything from my burner (drive E) so do not know why it is thinking anything should in it and why there would be a latch on it that could be open.

Reply 10 of 12, by Loreley

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got it running now and once again searching the lands for clues about Batlin, the virtues and the serpents 😉

I did it with Exult, runs nicely: http://exult.sourceforge.net/

Another good page (with several programs helping to run the game):
http://www.bootstrike.com/Ultima/index.html

Good luck to you all!

Reply 11 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Ah, I remember. Load a data CD into your CD-Rom and it should work. Zh installer checks for all availlable space on all drives and since back then CD-Roms not yet existed it doesn't handle it correct.

Reply 12 of 12, by Sigurd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok so just put any data CD into my burner and it should go correctly? Could work because I did actaully have a data CD in my DVD drive but my burner (E:) was empty. I will try that. 😀

Woohoo it appears to be working! On disk 2 of 7 now! Now to download that Exult project and I am in business, or does dosbox work now with this game? I heard there might be problems saving and loading games. 😀
I never got to complete this U7 part 2 so will be nice to be able to now. I almost completed it but somehow missed getting a key somewhere so when I got to the final area I was unable to continue.