VOGONS

First post, by rendlegame

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everybody,

Really impressed with the forum you guys have here. It's easy to find a lot of good answers to tough questions, but despite my attempts at going through the archives, I couldn't find the solution to this one.

I'm trying to play Exile II Crystals Souls in Win31 (S3 Driver) through DOSbox. My mouse works just fine when on the Win31 Desktop, but when I actually open up the game, it gets buggy. It operates normally except that it disappears anytime the mouse is moving and simply reappears at the destination. It's not unusable, but it's impossible to track where the cursor is which is obviously frustrating.

If anyone has a simple solution, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

Reply 2 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'm not seeing the problem you describe. The mouse pointer is a bit jumpy when SB audio plays, so maybe you're seeing an exaggerated version of that. Perhaps fixed or limited cycles will help in your case. Which version of DOSBox are you using, and on what kind of system are you running it?

The version of the game I'm using is from the developer's site here, and I'm using default settings in DOSBox 0.74 with Window 3.11, SB16 sound driver, S3 video driver (640x480x256).

Reply 3 of 12, by rendlegame

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, it's not just jumpiness. It completely disappears and if I keep moving the mouse it won't come back. It doesn't seem to affect the title screen, but every screen after that.
I also am using DOSBox .74, Windows 3.11, SB16, and S3 Driver (800x600x256).

Reply 4 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I also cannot reproduce with Dosbox 0.74, WfW 3.11m SB16, S3 (1024x768x256 SF). Did you install everything following the Win3.x guide?
Edit: which version of the game are you using? I also used the one Ripsaw linked at (instead of looking through my floppy disks 😀)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I've noticed that the game tends to use custom pointers, so could be a video driver issue. Does the pointer also disappear when you're moving it only within the game's title bar and pull-down menu area, where a normal pointer is used?

I use the S3 Trio64/32 1.70.04 drivers, which you can find with a search for "w3117004.zip"

Reply 9 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Hmm, interesting I think I still use the drivers from the guide (1.68 or so) and that worked for me.
But, anyways, it's working and that's all that matters 😉

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 12, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, Ripsaw, your mention worked with my setup,
DOSBox 0.74 on Mac OS X 10.8, nice work.
Nice to run W31 with 256 colours now.

Klimawandel.

Reply 12 of 12, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

yes, the driver AND actually mentioning the Quicktime problem with Hybrid Windows 3.x/Mac games...
On it...

Edit: I actually *DO* mention the quicktime thing already 😀
Will move it up to make it more prominent.