VOGONS

Mechwarrior 2

Topic actions

First post, by Apreche

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I've got the DOS version of mechwarrior 2, and I've been dying to play it for 5 years. I haven't been able to except for once on an actual DOS machine. Since I don't have an actualy DOS pc lying around I think DOSbox is my only hope. The other DOS emulators just don't cut it.

So here's my problem.

I got the cdrom mounted using this command
mount d h:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0
I've tried every combination involving -aspi and -ioctl also.
I have managed to install mechwarrior 2 just fine. But when I try to run mech2.exe it says
"Error: Mechwarrior2 CD-Rom not found".
It is mounted properly and MSCDEX is working.
Is there any way to make this work? What is the secret? I'm dying to play!

Reply 2 of 4, by Apreche

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the label trick didn't work at all. I have this as my mount statement

mount d h:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -label "MECH2_16B"

I've tried all combinations of ioctl and aspi. I've also tried with and without quotes around MECH2_16B. Every time it says

Drive D mounted as CDRom.

Shouldn't it say

Drive D mounted as MECH2_16b ???

Despite that, it still can't find the disc. I'm going to try a no CD crack, if I can find one.

Reply 3 of 4, by Apreche

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I tried the CD Crack available at this URL.
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/5122/crack.htm

The hex it wanted me to edit was only in the mech2.exe and not n mw2.exe.

After applying the crack the game loaded. The videos played and the game menus worked just fine. But whenever it gets to the point where it enters the actual game and I have to pilot a mech, it goes to a blinking underscore in the top left of the screen. I'm really desperate here, so if anyone knows anything. And I know it says broken in the game list page, but Star Control 3 works just fine despite it being listed as broken. What's the difference between that and mw2? Not much. If there's any way to make mechwarrior 2 for dos run in windows xp or linux or anything, I'm willing to try it.

Reply 4 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Check out my NT Game Compatibility list in Deep Thought.

You can play MW2 & MERCS in 2K/XP as long as you have the necessary VESA support. Read the compatibility info carefully.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline